Creamy Pesto Chicken Pasta
Tender noodles and juicy Italian-seasoned chicken breast are tossed with an easy 5-minute creamy pesto sauce! A perfectly tasty and comforting dish for those busy weeknights!
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
- 12 ounces penne noodles, cooked al dente drained and patted dry
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, pounded to 1/2 inch thickness
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 cup homemade basil pesto OR 1 small jar of store-bought pesto
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups half and half or heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 roma tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese, for topping
- optional: fresh parsley, finely chopped
Spray a large pan or skillet with cooking spray. Season both sides of chicken breasts with Italian seasoning and cook over medium-high heat 4-6 minutes on each side until juices run clear and completely cooked through. Transfer chicken to a plate and slice into strips or cut into bite size pieces.
In the same pan where you cooked the chicken, melt butter. Add garlic and sauté 1-2 minutes until garlic is fragrant. Add flour and stir until a ball forms. Gradually whisk in half and half (or heavy cream) until mixture is smooth. Whisk in pesto. Continue to stir until mixture thickens.
Pour creamy pesto sauce over noodles and top with chicken and remaining optional ingredients OR add noodles, sauce, chicken and optional ingredients to a large bowl and toss together. Serve warm.