Spring Salad & Slutty Nuts
Strawberries and candied walnuts on top of a bed of spinach with a blackberry vinaigrette.
- 3-4 cups mixed spring greens
- 3-4 cups baby spinach leaves
- 2 cups strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 1 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup blackberry preserves
- 4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 1-2 tablespoons water
Toss spring greens, spinach leaves, and strawberries in a large bowl. Pour walnuts in a wide sauce pan and sprinkle with cinnamon. Toast on medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes. Add sugars and vanilla.
Watch carefully until sugar starts to melt, then stir constantly until sugar is completely caramelized and nuts are thoroughly coated. Remove from heat and allow to cool on a baking sheet. When completely cooled, sprinkle nuts on top of salad.