Instant Pot Chicken Tikka Masala
A quick and easy weeknight recipe for Indian Chicken Tikka Masala you can make in your Instant Pot, with tender chicken chunks in a creamy spiced tomato sauce. Serve with buttered rice or warm naan.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Servings 4 servings
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger or 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 2 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs or breasts, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 15-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
Set an electric pressure cooker to the sauté function. Add the butter and onions and cook until softened. Stir in the ginger, garlic, garam masala, cumin, cayenne and ½ teaspoon salt. Cook about 30 seconds, until fragrant.
Add the chicken, tomato sauce and ¼ cup cream to the pot and stir to combine.
Cover and set to pressure cook at high pressure for 8 minutes. Release the pressure manually.
Scoop the chicken out of the pot with a slotted spoon (cover to keep warm). Add the remaining ¼ cup cream to the sauce in the pot. Press the sauté or reduce button. Let the sauce simmer until slightly reduced and thickened, 8 – 10 minutes.
Add the chicken back to the pot. Add the cilantro and stir to combine.
Serve in bowls over rice or with naan flatbread on the side.