Mango Habanero Popcorn Shrimp
Sweet and spicy mango habanero popcorn shrimp ready for a main dish or appetizer in just 20 minutes!
Servings 4 servings
- 1 pack frozen Popcorn Shrimp
- 3 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
- 5 habanero peppers, (seeds and stems discarded), finely chopped
- 6 mangoes peeled, pitted, and diced (1 1/2-2 cups diced mango)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 3 cups apple cider vinegar
- 1 white onion, diced
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- optional: additional mangoes, chopped cilantro, lime wedges, for serving
First prepare the sauce (can be made ahead of time). Add oil, habanero peppers, mangoes, garlic, apple cider vinegar, and onions to a large sauce pan and stir over medium-high heat until onions are translucent.
Stir in vinegar, ginger, brown sugar, and salt. Bring to a boil and cook for 10 minutes, then reduce to medium and simmer for 10 minutes. Transfer sauce to a blender or food processor and blend until very smooth.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees and grease a large baking sheet. Arrange shrimp in a single layer on baking sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes until hot throughout and crisp on the outside.
Toss shrimp in the mango habanero sauce. If desired, serve with additional diced mango, chopped cilantro, and lime wedges for drizzling on top.
Serves 3 for a main dish, or 6 for an appetizer.
Pro tip: make your own popcorn shrimp by tossing some small shrimp in a bowl of egg wash (2 eggs whisked with 1-2 tablespoons milk), then in a bowl of panko breadcrumbs.
Calories: 486kcal | Carbohydrates: 92g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 1mg | Sodium: 318mg | Potassium: 759mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 84g | Vitamin A: 3360IU | Vitamin C: 116mg | Calcium: 92mg | Iron: 1mg