Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes
These mashed potatoes will change your life. Creamy, tons of flavor, and seriously the easiest mashed potatoes you will ever make - you'll never go back to boiling and smashing!
- 2 pounds red potatoes cut into 2 inch pieces, (you can peel them but I never do - I love red potato skins in my mashed potatoes!)
- ½ cup sour cream (or plain greek yogurt)
- ¼ cup milk
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
Spray the inside of a slow cooker with cooking spray. Add chopped potatoes. Cover and cook 2-3 hours on high or 5-6 hours on low.
Add sour cream, milk, garlic, salt, and pepper to potatoes. Use a hand mixer to blend together all ingredients. (Please see note below recipe!) Give them a taste and add more salt if desired. Serve plain, or with any favorite toppings such as gravy, or cheese and bacon. OR - check out my brand new variation - [url:1]Slow Cooker Buttery Garlic Herb Mashed Potatoes[/url]!
- To keep your mashed potatoes from being too gluey, make sure you don't over-mix them. That's why I use a hand mixer, I feel like I can control the amount they're whipped better. Stop when you still have a few lumps, those are supposed to be there. And please don't use a food processor unless you need glue.
- I recommend cooking these slow cooker potatoes in a new(ish) crock pot. It has been my experience that older models don't get hot enough to get these done in 3 hours. If you have an older model, then add another hour or so on to the cooking time.
- For the best-textured potatoes, add the sour cream and milk at room temperature. I have found that everything mixes together better if it's all the same temperature. The dairy ingredients don't have to be HOT per say but don't pull them right out of the fridge and pop them into the slow cooker without letting the chill come off of them for a bit first.
- Store these mashed potatoes in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. They'll last about 10 months in the freezer. Thaw before reheating.
Calories: 151kcal | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 11mg | Sodium: 822mg | Potassium: 728mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 146IU | Vitamin C: 13mg | Calcium: 50mg | Iron: 1mg