One Pot Lemon Herb Chicken & Rice
Tonight, all eyes will be on this buttery, one pot lemon herb chicken and rice with lemon herb spices, all cooked and ready to devour in 30 minutes in just one pot!
Servings 4 servings
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 cup uncooked white rice
- 2 1/4 cups chicken broth (I used low sodium)
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
Melt butter over medium heat in a large skillet or pan (one that has a lid). Season chicken with salt and pepper to taste, and Italian seasoning. Brown chicken in the butter for 1-2 minutes on each side. (Chicken shouldn't be cooked through at this point) Transfer chicken to a plate.
Add rice, chicken broth, lemon juice, and remaining Italian seasoning to the pan (no need to clean it first). Place chicken on top, then cover and simmer over medium-low heat for 20-25 minutes until liquid is dissolved.
Garnish with fresh parsley or cilantro if desired and lemon wedges for squeezing. Serve immediately.
- If you are cooking with bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts, up the browning time to about 3-4 minutes per side before removing to add the rice and broth. Be sure to check that the chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees before eating.
- If you are using brown rice, you'll need to up the cooking time to about 30-35 minutes. Check around the 30-minute mark for doneness.
- Some great add-ins to this recipe include one can of fire-roasted tomatoes, half a cup of frozen peas or carrots, one teaspoon of red pepper flakes, or add half a finely chopped onion to the butter to caramelize a bit before adding chicken.
- This chicken and rice recipe will keep for up to 3 days in the fridge or up to 3 months in the freezer in an airtight container.
Calories: 313kcal | Carbohydrates: 39g | Protein: 28g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 73mg | Sodium: 625mg | Potassium: 606mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 74IU | Vitamin C: 11mg | Calcium: 59mg | Iron: 2mg