Creamy Red Pepper Pasta
Creamy Red Pepper Pasta is so good, garlicky, savory, cheesy, and honestly just about everything and anything you'd ever want in a one pot pasta dish. Make this with a side salad and some garlic bread and leave the table the happiest you've been in weeks.
Servings 6 servings
- 1 pound short pasta noodles such as rigatoni or ziti
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 16-ounce jar roasted red bell peppers drained
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 15-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 pound ground Italian sausage
- ½ white or yellow onion diced
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning or Herbs de Provence
- 3 tablespoons flour
- ⅓-1 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons salt or to taste
- ½ teaspoon cracked black pepper or to taste
- ⅔ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- fresh basil, parsley, or thyme for garnish
Cook pasta noodles according to package's instructions, drain, and toss with olive oil. Set aside.
Combine red bell peppers, chicken broth, and tomato sauce in a blender, blend until smooth, and set aside.
Add sausage to a large skillet, saute 2-3 minutes, breaking up with a spatula or wooden spoon as it cooks. Add onions and continue to saute 3-4 minutes longer until onions are tender and sausage is browned.
Stir in garlic for 1 minute until fragrant. Stir in Italian seasoning and flour.
Gradually stir in red pepper sauce, bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for 5-8 minutes until reduced and thickened.
Stir in heavy cream and season with salt and pepper.
Stir in pasta noodles, then parmesan cheese til melted. Garnish with fresh herbs and cracked black pepper and serve.
Spice it up: add 1/2-1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes for a spicy kick!
Cheese it up: stir in 1/2-1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese til melted and bubbly.
Calories: 647kcal | Carbohydrates: 62g | Protein: 27g | Fat: 32g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 82mg | Sodium: 1665mg | Potassium: 444mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 381IU | Vitamin C: 7mg | Calcium: 165mg | Iron: 2mg