Fluffy Red Velvet Cheesecake Pancakes topped with cream cheese icing… a decadent breakfast that feels like dessert!
Until recently, I’d never tried red velvet anything. Crazy huh?? How is that even possible. I think that at any social function where desserts or breakfast food was served (personally I feel that should be every social function ever, why don’t we meet for waffles more often??) I tended to reach for traditional chocolate no matter what else was available. As such, I looked right past the red velvet.
Can you blame me? Chocolate is a central part of my diet, a cornerstone to my livelihood. If there is chocolate nearby, I must have it. And it is one of the few things I find really difficult to share (along with french fries and deodorant). But really. Why did no one ever have a red-velvet-only social function? If they had, I would have been forced (you wouldn’t really have to twist my arm here but…) to try something red velvet and my life could have been that much more wonderful all of this time. For instance, I could have been eating these oh-so-amazing dreamy Red Velvet Cupcakes with White Chocolate Frosting all my life. But we’ve only just recently been introduced. I feel like we’ve known each other for decades though. Oh how I adore those cupcakes.
You know what’s better than plain red velvet though? Cheesecake red velvet. Ohhhhh yeah baby, welcome to 2014, this is really happening. It’s no secret I love eating anything reminiscent of cake for breakfast. Or heck, just eating straight up for-real cake, I can’t say I’ve never had a slice of leftover birthday cake in the wee hours of the morning. So pancakes are at the top of my Favorite Ways To Start The Day list. But red velvet + cheesecake + warm ooey gooey cream cheese icing? So scrumptious you simply must lick the spoon and so rich you feel like you’ve just won a million dollars?? A red velvet spin on your favorite fluffy buttermilk pancakes with a cheesecake twist?!? That, is right at the tippity-top of my list. Red Velvet Cheesecake Pancakes with Cream Cheese Icing. An all-time favorite way to start the day. What can beat that? Anything?? Nope!
Red Velvet Cheesecake Pancakes
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons butter - melted
- 1 egg - beaten
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon red food coloring
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- heavy cream - or half and half, or milk
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla
- Slice cream cheese lengthwise into long thin pieces, wrap in plastic wrap, and freeze one hour or overnight.
- Preheat a large pan or nonstick skillet to medium heat and spray with cooking spray. In a large bowl combine flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, cocoa powder and whisk together until well combined.
- In another bowl combine beaten egg, buttermilk, vanilla, red food coloring and mix until well blended. Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients. Pour wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Mix until all ingredients are incorporated.
- Remove cream cheese from freezer, unwrap and cut into 1/2 inch pieces. Stir cream cheese pieces into pancake batter.
- Pour 1/4 cup batter onto prepared pan or skillet. Cook 3-4 minutes until top begins to bubble and sides start to look "dry". Carefully flip and cook about 2 minutes longer. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Whisk all icing ingredients together in a medium sauce pan and heat over low heat. Drizzle over pancakes. Enjoy!