Easy, healthy grilled bruschetta chicken with simple seasonings, melty mozzarella cheese, and a fresh tomato and basil topping is the perfect summer meal!
So many delicious things happening here, I can hardly contain my excitement about this super awesome grilled chicken dish. If we are talking juicy, savory grilled chicken under a layer of hot, melty mozzarella cheese, topping with fresh tomato and basil salsa….. I’m in heaven.
I could curl up with a good book and a plate of this chicken and be a happy gal for the rest of my days.
We moved into this home mid-Fall last year and I was over the moon to find that the previous owners had planted a small (and very manageable) garden on the far side of our yard. It’s the perfect size – for someone like me who lacks both time and a green thumb – and is divided into three rectangular plantar boxes.
Before temperatures plummeted for the Winter, the tomato vines were still producing loads of tiny adorable red and golden tomatoes and I was popping them like candy. My husband would never eat a tomato alone, so I had the lot of them to myself and I was not one bit sad about that.
I really, really heart fresh tomatoes.
Tomatoes are the star of this grilled bruschetta chicken recipe. Paired with some fresh lemon juice, chopped basil, and salt and pepper, they turn a simple chicken dish into a whole other super tasty experience.
This recipe is incredibly simple – and sometimes less is more if you ask me! Just toss your chicken with a bit of olive oil, salt and pepper, some dried herbs, and a hearty dose of garlic powder, and grill for about 15 minutes. Top each chicken breast with a thick slice of mozzarella cheese and watch as it gets all sorts of ooey gooey melty delicious right there on the grill.
Once your chicken is done, top it off with your tomato and basil mixture, along with a bit of fresh cracked black pepper, and you’re done my friends. You and your family are going to love how delicious and easy this recipe is!
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, pounded to even thickness (1 inch or less)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning (OR ¼ teaspoon each dried basil, dried oregano, and dried thyme)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese
- 3 roma tomatoes, diced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil
- In a large bowl combine chicken, oil, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and black pepper. Stir to combine and coat chicken evenly with the seasonings.
- Grill chicken over medium-high heat 6-8 minutes on each side or until cooked through.
- While chicken is cooking, prepare the topping. In a medium bowl combine tomatoes, salt and pepper, lemon juice, and basil and stir well.
- Once chicken is cooked through, top each chicken breast with a slice of mozzarella cheese and cook for about 1 minute longer until cheese is melty.
- Top chicken with tomato basil topping and serve immediately.