Easy grilled smothered bbq chicken foil packs are the epitome of laidback summertime eats! Chicken topped with mushrooms, onions, melty provolone cheese, all smothered in zesty bbq sauce…you will make these again and again!
YES. This is happening. This barbecue chicken smothered in all the goods. It’s happening right here, right now, and applause is absolutely welcome.
Anyone sensing a pattern here? See me trying to slip in a tin foil dinner every chance I get? The answer is yes, I am addicted to grilling my food in foil. I tried it once and I’ll never go back and here are my top three reasons why.
1) FLAVOR – when great ingredients hang out in a cocoon of foil, all of their flavors get kicked up a couple of notches and my book mo’ flavah = mo’ bettah.
2) NO MESS – I repeat, no. mess. I hate greasing my grill, I hate cleaning my grill, I love grilled food but darn it sometimes it’s messy business. Not when you’re using Reynolds Wrap Heavy Duty Non-stick Foil which is definitely what we’re using. The foil never sticks to the grill, the food never sticks to the foil, and I’m one happy grillin’ woman.
3) FUN – Okay I just have to say that I love eating out of a makeshift foil bowl. Takes me back to my childhood days when Mom would make tin foil dinners at the family cabin or up the canyon. It was fun when I was seven and it’s fun now.
Now, not to make this weird but ever heard of “Roadkill”? I’m talking about the dish, not that mess on the side of the road. I’ve seen it on the menu of several steakhouses, usually includes chicken or steak smothered in mushrooms and onions and yummy stuff. That was my inspiration here and I’m pretty confident that this chicken in Kansas city barbecue sauce version rivals anything you’ll get at a steakhouse.
Plus it’s eaten straight off the grill in your tin foil bowl, which as previously discussed, is a w e s o m e.
And really, how can you so no to barbecue chicken topped with grilled onions, mushrooms, and melty provolone cheese??
It can’t be done I tell ya, you just can’t say no to this goodness!
Grilled Smothered BBQ Chicken Foil Packs
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts - pounded to ½-inch thickness
- 2 cups Kansas City BBQ Sauce - divided (see below for recipe)
- ⅓ cup white mushrooms - sliced
- ½ medium onion - thinly sliced
- 8 slices provolone cheese
- fresh cilantro or parsley (optional)
Kansas City BBQ Sauce
- 1 cup ketchup
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup yellow mustard
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons dark molasses
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Whisk together all sauce ingredients in a medium sauce pan. Bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer and cook for 10-15 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature. Reserve 1/2 cup of sauce and poor remaining sauce in a large resealable bag. Add chicken breasts to bag. Seal and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat grill to medium heat and arrange four 12/12 pieces of Reynolds Wrap® Non-Stick Foil on the grill. Use tongs to transfer one chicken breasts to each foil square. Discard marinade.
- Brush each chicken breast with some of the remaining bbq sauce. Top with sliced mushrooms and onions. Fold foil around each chicken breast to enclose the chicken and veggies. Allow to cook over medium heat for 10-12 minutes or until chicken is tender and juices run clear or meat thermometer reads 170F.
- Unwrap foil packets and place two slices of provolone cheese over the top of each chicken breast so that the cheese is lying on top of the mushrooms and onions. Allow to cook (uncovered) 2-3 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Garnish with fresh parsley or cilantro and serve.
This yummy chicken recipe has been sponsored by Reynolds – thanks for letting me work with the brands I love.
Check out Reynolds Kitchen Instagram for more tasty recipes.