Hearty, delicious Baked Cheesy Sausage Penne tossed and baked in a creamy garlic white sauce!
Hellloooooooo cheesy comfort food. I’ve been dreaming of you.
Pasta and cheese and sausage…. if that doesn’t scream comfort food I don’t know what does. Well besides cereal. Because I find a big bowl of cereal comforting at any time of the day. But when it’s not cereal, it’s the cheesy sausage pasta stuff.
This dish is ready in about 30 minutes and just requires a few steps. First, brown the sausage. Second, make the creamy, cheesy garlic-y sauce. And lastly, put it all in a casserole dish with cheese on top and pop it in the oven for a few minutes to get all bubbly and delicious.
Done. Cheesy comfort food for your eating pleasure.
Baked Cheesy Sausage Penne
- 3 cups cooked penne noodles
- 1 1/2 pounds Italian sausage, sliced
- 1 7-ounce can roasted red peppers, drained (may sub sundried tomatoes)
- 1/3 cup butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 1/2 cups milk (I used fat free half and half)
- 1 teaspoon salt + 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1/4 cups grated parmesan cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Saute sausage in a large pan or skillet for 5-7 minutes until cooked through. Add to a large bowl along with cooked penne noodles, and roasted red peppers.
- Add butter to pan and stir until melted. Add flour and stir again til mixture clumps together. Gradually whisk in milk. Add garlic powder, salt and pepper, and 3/4 cup parmesan cheese and stir until cheese is melted and incorporated.
- Add sauce to bowl with sausage, peppers, and noodles and stir to combine. Transfer mixture to a casserole dish. Sprinkle remaining parmesan cheese over the top and bake for 10-15 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly. Serve hot.