Learn how to make blue cheese stuffed buffalo chicken meatballs in less than 30 minutes with a hot buffalo sauce and cool and creamy blue cheese dressing. A great appetizer for parties!
I love buffalo. And I’m not talking about the mammal – not that I have anything against those guys – I’m talking about the sauce. The flavor profile. That super hot and vinegary sauce that seems to be a love or hate thing with everybody. It’s definitely a love thing here.
Nothing goes with buffalo sauce like blue cheese! These buffalo chicken meatballs are stuffed with melty blue cheese on the inside and then drizzled with cool and creamy blue cheese dressing for the perfect balance to that fiery sauce. These delicious little bites come together in less than 30 minutes and make the perfect appetizer for parties and tailgating!
P.S. They’re a great (easy and quick) healthier alternative to chicken wings!
Blue Cheese Stuffed Buffalo Chicken Meatballs
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 large egg
- ⅓ cup panko breadcrumbs
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- salt and pepper - to taste
- ⅓ cup blue cheese crumbles
- blue cheese dressing
- chopped green onions - for garnish
- ½ cup melted butter
- ½ cup hot sauce - I used Frank's hot sauce
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- Line a small plate with wax or parchment paper. Arrange blue cheese crumbles on the plate so that they are in a single layer. Freeze for about 10 minutes while you prepare the meatballs.
- In a large bowl combine ground chicken, egg, breadcrumbs, garlic power, onion powder, and salt and pepper to taste. Mix well until all ingredients are completely incorporated. Scoop out 2-3 tablespoons of the chicken mixture, roll into a ball, and set aside. Repeat with remaining mixture.
- Once all meatballs are formed, remove blue cheese from the freezer. Make a deep indentation in the middle of each meatball, press a chunk of blue cheese crumble into the indentation, then form the meatball around the blue cheese so that it is completely encased inside the meatball. Repeat with remaining meatballs and blue cheese crumbles.
- Drizzle a skillet with a bit of oil or spray with nonstick cooking spray and bring to medium heat. Add meatballs and cook for 6-10 minutes until cooked through and beginning to brown. While meatballs are cooking, whisk together all ingredients for the buffalo sauce.
- Once meatballs are cooked through, add buffalo sauce to the pan. Turn the meatballs to coat in the sauce and cook another 2-4 minutes.
- Drizzle meatballs with blue cheese dressing (or serve on the side for dipping) and garnish with chopped green onions.