This Creamy Tomato Basil Fettuccine is a rich saucy dish, perfect for pasta lovers – Whip it up in 30 minutes or less!
We’ve been in California this whole week and the weather was nothing short of heavenly. Mid to low seventies with plenty of sunshine – I couldn’t have asked for anything better. However, I definitely cannot say the same about the weather we came back to. 24 degrees is unnatural. Unhealthy. UnREAL. And just plain awful. I hate the cold. Yet… I live in Utah.
That’s just cruel irony.
Oh and I have no bedroom. Yayyyy for home makeovers! We’ve done a lot of work in the kitchen and the front room, and we just got the outside painted a couple of months ago. Now we’re getting started on the master bedroom. We’ve been putting it off for so long because we knew it would be a huge inconvenience to move our bed out and find space in the other rooms to stuff our dressers. On the flip side though, we’re having a blast sleeping on the floor of the living room.
Yep, I’m laying on our king size mattress on our living room floor as I type this, watching Last Man Standing with the hubbs. Oh and there is a space heater two feet away blowing hot air directly on me because as previously mentioned, it is f.r.i.g.i.d. here and we turned our heat down before we went out of town – you know, to save dough and such.
But this pasta! Oh-ma-gosh it is so good. I made it twice last week! We volunteered to host his mother’s birthday dinner at our house and the dinner plans were up to my deciding so I took the opportunity to make this pasta again, even though I’d had it just three nights before. I’m the kind of person who will eat something again and again if I like it enough – I never get sick of it. This pasta? I could never (ever) get sick of it.
This pasta is based on my favorite soup – slow cooker tomato basil parmesan soup – it is nothing short of incredible and I crave it all the time. It’s actually the most popular soup on my entire blog so you don’t have to take my word for it! Anyway, I made this pasta based on that soup – creamy tomato basil fettuccine pasta – instead of soup. It turned out just as good as the soup and my mother in law was over the moon impressed with it. So keep this ace up your sleeve for the next time you need to impress your own MIL. It’ll score you major brownie points.
Or pasta points. Whichever!
Creamy Tomato Basil Fettuccine
- 8 ounces fettuccine noodles
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups heavy cream or half & half (I used fat free half & half)
- 1 15-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup packed basil leaves, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded or shaved parmesan cheese (not the grated kind in the can)
- 2 teaspoons salt (or to taste)
- Cook fettuccine according to package's instructions. Drain and set aside.
- In a large sauce pan melt butter over medium heat. Add garlic and stir 1-2 minutes until fragrant. Add flour and stir until mixture clumps together. Gradually whisk in heavy cream (or half & half).
- Add tomato sauce and basil and stir to combine. Increase heat and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and add cheese. Allow to simmer about 10 minutes or until cheese is completely melted and mixture is smooth.
- Add salt to sauce and stir to combine. Taste and add a little more salt if desired. Serve sauce over cooked fettuccine noodles. Top with additional parmesan cheese and basil if desired. Enjoy!