Easy 30-minute Spicy Tomato Garlic Shrimp Pasta with a creamy spicy garlic tomato sauce!
It seems like shrimp is one of those love-or-hate foods. My husband isn’t a big fan of most seafood and fish but loooves shrimp. When we were dating I thought it was his number one favorite food because he ordered it so often when we ate out. (I say thought – past tense – because it turns out we both agree that if we had to eat one type of food for the rest of our lives it would have to be Mexican. Shrimp is still pretty high on his list though.)
Now my friend Alyssa, she’s crazy about salmon but hates hates hates shrimp. (Triple hate) What is it with these people?? I’m on the far end of the spectrum, I love shrimp, and pretty much every other seafood fit for human consumption. Lobster, salmon, shrimp, crab legs, scallops – um, yes please. Which one? All of it.
I’m a seafood lovR.
I have to tell you, this pasta has some kick to it. Loads of flavor from the garlic and tomato but then there’s a bit of fiery goodness at the end of every bite. I was a little bit skeptical about throwing Italian seasoning and crushed red peppers into the same pot but now I’m a believer. It’s a whole new flavor combination I hadn’t experienced before and I can’t get enough of it. Heaven knows the average dinner routine could use a little spicing up.
And just a side note – my husband does not like tomatoes. Loathes them, orders everything without them. But he really really likes this pasta. It’s all about presentation. Give the tomatoes a big garlic-y flavor boost, add a creamy factor and top it with shrimp, and you’ll turn a hater into a fan.
Oh oh oh, another great thing about this dish? Easy and quick. Boil the pasta, sauté the shrimp in a little butter, then throw everything else in the pan. After a few minutes of simmering the flavors all come together and a whole new take on red sauce pasta is born.
Spicy tomato garlic shrimp pasta for the win!
What people are saying about this Spicy Tomato Garlic Shrimp Pasta
“This was delicious! Thank you so much for the recipe!” – Jaimee
“I made this last night and even my 2 year old loved it! Thank you so much!” – Lane
Spicy Tomato Garlic Shrimp Pasta
- 8 ounces noodles of choice (I love penne, fettuccine, or short spiral noodles)
- 12 ounces shrimp, tails removed and de-veined
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 15-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes (or more to taste)
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream or half & half (fat free half & half works well)
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- Cook noodles according to package instructions. Add shrimp and butter to a large sauce pan or skillet and sauté over medium heat for 3-4 minutes until shrimp turn pink. (If you are using pre-cooked shrimp which are already pink, reduce cooking time to 2-3 minutes, just until shrimp are heated through) Transfer shrimp to a bowl and set aside.
- Add crushed tomatoes, minced garlic, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, salt, onion powder, and Italian seasoning to your pan. Stir over medium heat for 5 minutes or so until fragrant and heated through. Add heavy cream (or half & half) and chicken broth. Cover and allow to simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Add shrimp to pan and stir to combine. Toss with prepared noodles and serve.