Easy fiesta lime chicken salad with chipotle dressing is perfect for healthy dinners on busy weeknights and summer grilling.
It’s mid-May and my summertime grilled chicken salad game is already on fire you guys. I am one hundred percent not kidding when I tell you that we had grilled chicken (and one steak) salads every. single. day. last week. I almost felt bad for my husband – almost. I would have felt a little bit guilty but the one night I made grilled chicken with a side salad, he ended up topping his side salad with his grilled chicken anyway soooooo yeah. I don’t really feel bad at all.
That doe say something about my grilled _____ salads though if he wants them every single night right? Gotta be good.
If you are reading this, because you are really awesome and like to hear about my boring grilled chicken dinner habits, will you please do me a huuuge favor and comment below telling me the BEST thing you have ever grilled in your lifetime? What is the most delicious grilled thing you can imagine? Because whatever it is, I want to make THAT.
No but really, I’m going to put it on my menu for next week so s p i l l.
This salad is my current obsession. I can’t gush enough about the flavors involved in this salad. But with all of that flavor going on, there’s really only a few different spices being utilized here so your ingredient list isn’t a million miles long. You’re going to be using those spices twice – once on the chicken, and once in the dressing. BRILLIANT right?!? I know. My finest stroke of genius right here in the shape of a salad.
Fiesta Lime Chicken Salad with Chipotle Dressing
- 3-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons cumin, divided
- 2 teaspoons chili powder, divided
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder, divided
- 6 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 2 bell peppers, thinly sliced (I used a combination of red, yellow, and orange)
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced
- 1 ear yellow corn
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/3 cup mayo
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup plain fat free greek yogurt (or sour cream)
- 1 chipotle pepper (from a can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce)
- juice of 1 lime, plus additional lime wedges for squeezing
- 1 sliced jalapeno, seeded (optional)
- 1/4 cup cotija cheese (you can also use crumbled feta cheese)
- chopped cilantro, for topping
- Season chicken with salt and pepper on both sides, and season with 1 teaspoon chili powder, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, and 1 teaspoon cumin. Grill or cook on the stove in a greased skillet over medium heat for 5-8 minutes on each side until cooked through. Slice and set aside.
- In a blender or food processor combine mayo, milk, greek yogurt, chipotle pepper, lime juice, and remaining cumin, chili powder, and garlic powder.
- Assemble salads with lettuce on the bottom and top with chicken, tomatoes, peppers, jalapeños, avocado, cheese, and corn (see note). Drizzle with dressing and serve with lime wedges for serving.