Easy and incredibly tasty slow cooker lasagna soup with creamy ricotta and parmesan cheese is the ultimate slow cooker dish you’ll crave year-round. All the flavors of lasagna in a warm and comforting soup.
I had a shocking revelation this week in which I realized that it has been more than a month since I last posted a soup recipe here. WHAT is happening to me. Somehow I’ve been letting soup season slide by me lately and I’ve gotta catch up pronto. There are only so many months in the year when it is socially acceptable to be sharing hot soup recipes publicly and I have to make the most of it.
So let’s kick this belated celebration of the season off with possibly the best soup I’ve had this year. Slow cooker lasagna soup. Yes, you read that right, I said lasagna… in the form of soup… made in the slow cooker. THIS IS LIFE.
I’ll be a thousand percent honest here, traditional lasagna with red sauce and ground beef is generally not my thing. White chicken lasagna, absolutely! but not so much with the classic lasagna. Somehow though, turning that pasta casserole into a soup made in my slow cooker is a magical transformation that has turned me into a lasagna fanatic. Or at the very least a lasagna soup fanatic, complete with fresh basil and creamy ricotta cheese. Oh and parmesan. So. much. parmesan.
Slow Cooker Lasagna Soup
- 1 pound lean ground sausage
- 3 teaspoons Italian seasoning, divided
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 15-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 15-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, or to taste
- 8 ounces broken lasagna noodles or short noodles, boiled til tender
- 2/3 cup ricotta cheese, plus more for serving
- handful of fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced or finely chopped
- 1/4-1/2 cup shaved or grated parmesan cheese
- Add ground sausage to a skillet, sprinkle with 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning, and saute over medium-high heat for about five minutes until browned. Transfer to slow cooker along with pasta, tomato sauce, crushed tomatoes, chicken broth, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and remaining Italian seasoning.
- Cover and cook for 2 hours on high or 4-6 hours on low. About 30 minutes before serving, stir in ricotta cheese, re-cover and allow to cook for a half hour longer.
- Just before serving, stir in basil. Serve topped with parmesan cheese and additional ricotta cheese and basil if desired.