Tender and juicy slow cooker swiss steak smothered in onions, mushrooms, and gravy.
Maybe I was just very uncultured with food as a kid but growing up on my mother’s home cooking I just thought there was one way to make everything and that was that. It wasn’t really until I was in college, and later dating my now-husband and started having dinners with his family that I really came to notice differences. For example chicken and broccoli. I thought everyone put curry in their chicken and broccoli because it’s how my mother always did it. Apparently that’s not the norm. And apparently chicken and broccoli doesn’t even really have to be made in a casserole dish. What?? Yeah. Chicken and broccoli can be just chicken and broccoli side by side on a plate. Who knew.
My mother’s version and beef and gravy is different than this one. The beef is in chunks and the gravy is a little bit creamier and she usually serves it over rice. In fact we call it Slow Cooker Beef On Rice and it is truly the kind of comfort food you need after a long week and get a little homesick for your childhood Sunday dinners.
But this version I’m sharing with you today is inspired by my mother-in-law’s recipe for Swiss Steak. It has onions and mushrooms and a rich beef gravy that tenderizes the meat so it just melts in your mouth. Slow cooker Swiss steak is one my favorite dishes my husband’s mother makes so making it at our home and making it a little more my style was a must.
Today I’m serving it straight up but with mashed potatoes or rice this dish is even ten times better – just a tip if you’re looking for something to serve alongside this deliciousness!
Slow Cooker Swiss Steak
- 6 medium very thin steaks (chicken steaks, blade steaks, or round steaks work well)
- 1 cup thinly sliced mushrooms
- 1 medium white or yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Place steaks in slow cooker. In a oiled skillet saute mushrooms, onions, and garlic over medium heat for 2-3 minutes until tender and fragrant. Transfer to slow cooker on top of steaks. Sprinkle salt and pepper of the top to taste.
- In a medium bowl whisk beef stock, flour, oil, and Italian seasoning. Pour into slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 4-6 hours.
- Stir in heavy cream, cover and cook on high for another 10-15 minutes or so until the heavy cream has heated through and gravy is hot.
- Taste, add salt and pepper to taste as needed. Sprinkle with parsley, garnish with freshly cracked black pepper, and serve.