Saucy, cheesy Smothered Chile Colorado Burritos made in 30 minutes. The sauce is so good you’ll want to eat it straight from the pan.
When I was a kid my favorite food in the world was a bean and cheese burrito. Mom used to keep them stocked in the freezer 24-7, 365 days a year just to feed my addiction. She also said almost daily, “you eat so many burritos, you’re going to turn into a burrito” which, as a 9 year old, I thought would be just about the coolest thing in the world.
Sadly, many years later, I’m still human.
Thankfully, I eventually learned how to make my own non-frozen-store-bought burritos (cause that’s rocket science, obviously….) and now I’m obsessed with a new variety of burrito —> The super cheesy smothered colorado chile variety. Mmmmmm.
The sauce for these burritos is so insanely good, I literally couldn’t stop eating it straight from the pan. Frankly it’s a miracle that any of the stuff actually made it into the tortillas. But it did! And I am so glad that it did because the whole cheesy saucy smothered part takes it all to the next level of YUM.
What people are saying about these Smothered Chile Colorado Burritos
“Just finished making and eating Burritos – FANTASTIC – tried to copy it exactly and it was so tasty my husband went back for 3rds -hmmm maybe too good.” – Rebecca
“I know this recipe was posted a while ago, but I just found this recipe through Pinterest and made it EXACTLY as stated and it was DELICIOUS! Will make again and again. My husband will be glad about that because he loved it too! Just wanted to let you know. Thank you for the recipe! Wonderful pictures by the way.” – Ashley
“OMG!!! I made these tonight and they were fantastic. The sauce was exactly what I have been searching for. I will use the recipe for enchiIladas. Better than any Mexican restaurant . Thank you.” – Barbara
“Oh, my gosh! I just made this for lunch and they were amazing! When you said you’ll want to eat the sauce by itself you were so right! Definitely one of my new all time favorites and have shared this page with my friends! ” – Amanda
Smothered Chile Colorado Burritos
- 2 pounds flank steak or similar beef cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 10-ounce cans mild or medium red enchilada sauce
- 2 tablespoons adobo sauce (from a can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, found near the canned jalapeños)
- 1 anaheim pepper diced
- 1 15-ounce can diced green chiles
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 1 can black beans drained and rinsed
- 4 burrito-sized flour tortillas
- 1 cup shredded Mexican-style cheese
- Saute beef in a large sauce pan over medium heat until tender.
- Add enchilada sauce and next 8 ingredients (through cumin) to the pan. Whisk together water and corn starch in a small bowl, add to pan and stir. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for another 15 minutes.
- Add black beans and a generous amount of beef mixture to the middle of each tortilla. Wrap up tightly and place seam-side-down in a greased baking dish. Top with additional sauce from the beef mixture and sprinkle shredded cheese on top. Bake at 400 for 10 minutes until cheese is bubbly, then serve.