Meal Prep Chicken Burrito Bowls are the perfect way to eat a healthy, delicious make-ahead meal on the go. Full of beans, rice, chicken, avocado, tomato, and all the toppings you want on a burrito, packed up together in an easy meal prep container.
For more flavorful, time-saving meal prep recipes to take the guesswork out of your meals, check out my posts for Meal Prep Chicken Fajitas, Meal Prep Greek Chicken Gyro Bowls, and Taco Salad Meal Prep.
Meal prep is one area in which I sometimes fall short. I tend to focus a lot on the one, big, star meal of the day (usually dinner), but forget to plan meals for when we’re on the go. Sure, we all love leftovers, but that means you have to have (or plan on having) leftovers. And that sometimes that works, and other times, we have zero leftovers or not enough for all of us and we end up making sandwiches (or eating on the fly) like usual.
That’s why meal prep is so key. By planning on making meals ahead of time, you are simply ensuring you’ll have a healthy meal for lunch, dinner, or any time you’re on the go. Meal prepping saves time, can reduce the portion sizes you’re eating, and can save money too: No more ordering takeout because there’s nothing good to eat at home!
That’s where this meal prep recipe for Chicken Burrito Bowls comes in handy. I mean, is there anything better? First off, they are delicious. There is nothing about the combination of chicken, rice, beans, corn, cheese, avocado, sour cream, salsa, and more that I do not like.
And the best part? You can make these exactly how YOU like them. Add or subtract any ingredients, make them vegetarian, use brown rice, go the extra mile and pack guacamole — they are so versatile!
WHAT INGREDIENTS ARE IN MEAL PREP CHICKEN BURRITO BOWLS?
These are the ingredients I used for this recipe. Remember to make it yours and add or subtract whatever you like in your burrito bowl.
- Chopped or shredded chicken, fully cooked
- Canned or grilled yellow corn
- Canned black or pinto beans
- Cooked white rice
- Shredded cheese
- Sour cream
HOW DO YOU MAKE MEAL PREP CHICKEN BURRITO BOWLS?
Making these meal prep bowls is easy, especially when you use all pre-made and pre-cooked ingredients!
This recipe makes four meal prep dishes. Go ahead and get out whatever containers you are using and divide up your ingredients among the containers. So put in equal parts rice, beans, corn, and chicken in the four meal prep containers.
Next, sprinkle equal amounts of cheese over the top of all four burrito bowls. Then, add any additional condiments you want with your bowls into individual sauce containers with lids, again dividing equally among the four meals. Place the main lids on top of all ingredients and store in the fridge until you’re ready to eat.
When you’re ready to eat the Chicken Burrito Bowls, remove the lid, and take out all topping containers. Heat the main dish in a microwave for 1 minute, stir ingredients and add your toppings before eating. Or eat them cold, right out of the fridge — up to you!
WHAT IS MEAL PREP?
Essentially, meal prep means to plan meals ahead of time. This can mean breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks — any meals can be “prepped.” Meal prepping means to have leftovers intentionally ready to be eaten when you want them.
People meal prep for a variety of reasons. Whether to save time or money, or because they are concerned about nutrition or are watching what they eat, meal prepping can be a lifesaver.
While there are different ways to meal prep, I prefer the make-ahead/individually portioned type. (You can also batch cook and freeze meals, for example.) this way, I simply make one recipe, split it up into individual portions, and refrigerate and reheat when I’m ready to eat them.
WHAT MEALS ARE GOOD FOR MEAL PREP?
In addition to these Chicken Burrito Bowls, there are many other meals that are easy to meal prep, inexpensive to make, and good for you!
- Freezer Breakfast Burritos and Oatmeal Craisin Breakfast Bars make great make-ahead breakfast options.
- Chicken Fajitas and Chicken Gyro Bowls are other fast-and-easy ways to make a meal ahead of time using up pre-cooked chicken.
- Taco Salad meal prep makes good use of ground beef, but you could also use ground chicken or turkey just as easily.
- Even something like this creamy, decadent Bacon Avocado Egg Salad is a great make-ahead option. Simply add two scoops to a container with a lid, and pack two slices of bread alongside it. Put the sandwich together on the fly or pack it in the morning.
Meal Prep Chicken Burrito Bowls
- 2 cups chopped or shredded chicken - fully cooked, make it yourself, or frozen chicken breast strips or rotisserie chicken work great
- 1 15-ounce can yellow corn - drained, see note
- 1 15-ounce can black - or pinto beasn, drained
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- optional toppings: salsa, avocado, limes, cilantro, sour cream
- Divide rice, beans, corn, and chicken between four meal prep containers.
- Sprinkle cheese over the top.
- Add any toppings in sauce containers with lids.
- To eat, remove any topping containers and heat burrito bowls in the microwave for about 1 minute, stir, and add toppings before serving OR you can eat them straight from the fridge, no heating required. Enjoy all week long!