Southwest Chicken Burritos – Chicken, peppers, rice, beans, corn, and avocado all seasoned with tasty tex-mex flavors and stuffed in a flour tortilla, all ready in 30 minutes or less!
We’re having Sunday dinner Southwest style! Growing up I was the burrito queen. If I went to bed without having eaten a burrito during the day it was just about the end of my 10-inch big 7 year year old world. For years it was frozen burritos and I just have to say, a few weeks ago I was hit with an intense come-back craving for those burritos and found the exact brand and flavors I’d eaten all through my childhood right there in the frozen section of our grocery store. Did I do a child-like happy dance in the aisle of Smith’s that day?
Maybe, maybe not.
Then one scary day when there were no frozen burritos to be found stockpiled in our freezer, I was thisclose to having an emotional breakdown BUT I found a few flour tortillas and a can of refried beans and did something amazing. I made a burrito… from scratch.
Of course, “from scratch” is a loose term so at that point in my life yeah, from scratch meant using a can opener and heating those beans up in the microwave but hey – ya gotta start somewhere right?
And just look how far I’ve come! Grillin’ up my own meat, adding rice and veggies and fresh avocado… there is hope for the child who eats frozen TV dinners people, have a little faith.
These burritos are 100% so darn delicious and they come together in 30 minutes or less with just three easy parcheesy steps. First you cook the chicken, then you saute all the rest of those yummy ingredients – rice, beans, corn, peppers and onions – and then lastly, wrap it all up in a soft tortilla.
Oh and devour, but that’s pretty much a given yeah?
Southwest Chicken Burritos
- 2-3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, (pounded to 3/4 inch thickness)
- 1-2 tbsp taco seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can yellow corn, drained and rinsed
- 1-2 cups cooked white or brown rice
- 1/4 cup packed cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
- 4 large burrito-sized flour tortillas
- 1 avocado, sliced
- optional: salsa, sour cream, hot sauce, ranch dressing, fresh limes for squeezing
- Use about 1-2 teaspoons of the taco seasoning and salt and pepper to taste to season the chicken on both sides.
- Drizzle a large pan or skillet with oil and cook the chicken over medium heat for about 5-6 minutes on each side until cooked through. Transfer to a plate, cover with foil to keep the heat in, and set aside.
- Add red pepper and onions to the pan (no need to clean first) and saute for 1-3 minutes until tender (if pan is too dry you can drizzle a little bit more oil throughout).
- Add black beans, corn, and rice to the pan, sprinkle with remaining taco seasoning, and stir for 4-5 minutes. Taste, and add a bit of salt and pepper to taste if needed. Sprinkle with cilantro and stir to combine.
- Assemble burritos by placing a large scoop of the rice mixture in the center of each tortilla, then topping with chicken (sliced or diced) and avocado slices. Roll up burritos (stick a toothpick in to hold it if you need to) and serve with your favorite condiments like salsa, sour cream, or ranch dressing.