Best ever Healthy Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas made on just one pan with juicy, Tex-Mex seasoned chicken, bell peppers, and onions. Customize with your favorite toppings to turn this lightened up favorite into a must-make in your house!
Simple recipes on one pan are hard to come by. Try Sheet Pan Teriyaki Chicken and Pineapple Fried Rice, Sheet Pan Balsamic Chicken with Potatoes and Carrots, and Sheet Pan Sweet Fire Chicken.
Healthy Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
I love the flavors of the Southwest — cumin, garlic, chili powder, cayenne — and all the peppers, both the vegetables and the spices. By now, you are probably familiar with my penchant for tacos. Not only do I love the flavor of tacos, but I love how versatile they are. You can put nearly any protein and combination of vegetables on them and they are delicious. If you don’t like something, skip it. If you really enjoy something, pile it on. Make them all the same, make them all different. It really doesn’t matter so long as you stick to the basic spices and other accoutrements.
However, even though tacos generally are a healthy food, sometimes I realize they can become bogged down with too many oils and creams and can get a little high up in the calorie counts, especially if you are watching what you eat and don’t have the luxury of piling on the cheese, sour cream, guacamole, and other high-calorie ingredients.
But there is an alternative to tacos — fajitas! Fajitas are another great Southwestern meal that my whole family enjoys. Plus, baking is a great way to cook fajitas in a healthy way, and chicken is a lighter, leaner meat than most other options. When you bake chicken especially, I feel like it really takes on the flavors of whatever you have added to it — which is why I also really enjoy making sheet pan chicken dishes (I am all about versatility these days). With this dish, you don’t need that much oil at all and the juices from the chicken and peppers help to keep the dish moist, while letting the flavors really shine through. Like tacos, fajitas are another great recipe in which you can really add or subtract the ingredients and spices to suit your tastes.
HOW CAN I CUSTOMIZE THESE HEALTHY CHICKEN FAJITAS?
I can’t get enough of customizing my meals. I have made fajitas a whole lot of different ways, probably more than I can count. However, for this specific recipe, I think there are many ways to customize these fajitas while keeping them not only good but good for you:
- Substitute lean beef or tofu cubes for the chicken.
- Use plain Greek yogurt instead of sour cream.
- Add cut asparagus pieces, sliced Brussels sprouts, cauliflower slices, or any of your favorite veggies to cook with the peppers.
- Serve these with a variety of salsas and try mixing and matching to see which are you favorite.
- If you are looking for a low-carb option, try putting the chicken and veggies in a leaf of romaine or bibb lettuce instead of a tortilla.
- Make fajita chicken bowls by skipping the tortilla and adding the chicken and veggies to some cilantro-lime rice. Add in some black or pinto beans too if you would like a little extra protein.
- Have fun with your toppings: You could also include sliced black olives, pickled jalapenos or red onions, queso fresco, or a tablespoon of monterey jack cheese.
- Make these gluten-free by using corn tortillas.
HOW MANY CALORIES ARE IN HOMEMADE CHICKEN FAJITAS?
There are about 250-350 calories in one of these fajitas, including a flour tortilla. Of course, this count can fluctuate depending on the size and brand of your tortilla. Lower your calorie count by swapping the tortillas for more veggies or low-carb or low-fat options or use veggies as a base for a fajita bowl.
ARE CHICKEN FAJITAS LOW-CARB?
These chicken fajitas are very low in carbs — if you skip the tortilla or use a low-carb tortilla option. Other low-carb or carb-free vehicles for your fajitas include using lettuce to make lettuce wraps or making a fajita bowl and substituting cauliflower rice for white or brown rice. Add extra protein like tofu, beans, or lentils and a lot of fresh veggie toppings to fill up while keeping your carb count low.
Healthy Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts pounded evenly to about 1/2 inch thickness
- 4 bell peppers, sliced any color
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 4 tablespoons olive oil divided
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- juice of 1 lime
- 8 6-inch flour tortillas
- toppings: light sour cream, salsa, mashed or sliced avocado, chopped cilantro, lime wedges for squeezing
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and lightly grease a large sheet pan. Stir together garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, and cayenne pepper.
- Arrange chicken breasts on the pan, drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil and rub in with your fingers on both sides. Season generously with salt on both sides, then season chicken with mixed spices on both sides.
- Arrange sliced peppers and onions on the pan around the chicken breasts. Drizzle with remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil. Season generously with salt.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until chicken is cooked through. Transfer chicken to a cutting board, return peppers and onions to the oven and switch to BROIL for 3-5 minutes until the edges of the veggies start to char slightly, then remove from oven.
- While veggies are broiling, drizzle fresh lime juice over chicken then thinly slice into strips.
- Assemble fajitas with chicken, peppers, onions, and desired toppings and serve immediately.