Sheet Pan Chicken and Asparagus will save the day (and dinner) with its easy-to-prepare instructions, simple ingredients, and delightful flavor that the whole family is sure to love!
Fore more sheet pan chicken recipes, I suggest you give these a try: Sheet Pan Cranberry Chicken and Stuffing, Sheet Pan Bruschetta Chicken and Cheesy Garlic Bread, Sheet Pan Chicken and Potatoes.
Are you still of the mind that in order to cook you need a lot of fancy kitchen equipment, tools, and ingredients and a lot of time as well? I know a lot of my friends still believe that, despite the fact that I continually tell them the opposite. Even if you aren’t a good cook, as long as you can read and follow a recipe, I promise you can make one of these sheet pan chicken dinners.
I’m willing to bet almost all of you have some chicken in your freezer. I know asparagus isn’t as common to have in your crisper drawer at any given moment but believe me, I have seen asparagus at just about every grocery store I’ve ever been to. What I’m saying is, even if you don’t have all the ingredients, a quick trip to the grocery can yield them all quite quickly.
If it’s time you’re worried about, well, I’ve got that covered, too. This dish only takes at most 20 minutes to bake and maybe 10 to prepare if you’re feeling quite sluggish.
If that’s not enough to convince you that you can serve a healthy, delicious, and nutritious dinner tonight, then, well, then I’m not sure if there’s anything else that I can say. Or maybe this one just doesn’t sound good to you. If that’s the case, then have a gander at some of my other popular sheet pan recipes.
HOW DO YOU MAKE SHEET PAN CHICKEN AND ASPARAGUS?
First, you’ll want to prep the chicken and asparagus and get out all the other ingredients you need. I find it’s easier to whip through making a meal if you have everything ready to go when you are. Then go ahead and preheat the oven to 375 while you get the sheet pan, chicken, and asparagus ready to pop in the oven.
In a small bowl, combine together the spices. Then, put the chicken in a single layer on the sheet pan along one half. Put the asparagus on the pan on the other half in a single layer as well.
Drizzle olive oil over both the asparagus and the chicken and toss in the oil to coat both sides of the chicken and all around the asparagus (roll the spears back and forth if that’s easier). Sprinkle the chicken and asparagus with the herbs that you had whisked together, as well as a squeeze of lemon or two. Add lemon slices as well if you like. (You’ll not only love your dish more if you do this, but you’ll also love to look at it.)
Finally, finish the dish off with a shake or two of parmesan over the asparagus. Bake in the oven for about 15-20 minutes or until the asparagus is tender and the juices of the chicken run clear. If you’re not sure if the chicken is done, use a meat thermometer. It should register 165 degrees.
DOES POUNDING CHICKEN MAKE IT TENDER?
I often suggest that boneless, skinless chicken breasts are pounded to an even thickness before cooking. I say this for a couple of reasons.
- If they are the same size when cooked, they will all be done at the same time. That way you avoid any overdone or underdone breasts on the same pan.
- Pounding out the chicken also tenderizes it, which then makes it more tender when you go to eat it.
- Flatter chicken also makes it easier to slice into uniform pieces if you are going to eat the chicken on a salad or in a tortilla, or if you simply want a flatter piece to put between a bun.
Sheet Pan Chicken and Asparagus
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts - pounded to even 1-inch thickness
- 3 tablespoons olive oil - divided
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt - or to taste
- 1 teaspoon cracked black peppe - to taste, or 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 teaspoons Italian herb blend seasoning - or 3/4 teaspoon each dried basil, thyme, oregano, and parsley
- ½ lemon
- 1 pound asparagus - ends trimmed
- 2-3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and lightly grease a rimmed baking sheet.
- Stir together salt, pepper, garlic powder, Italian seasoning blend.
- Arrange chicken and asparagus in a single layer on the baking sheet.
- Drizzle olive oil over the asparagus and the chicken. Toss in the oil to coat.
- Season chicken and asparagus all over with the herb mixture.
- Squeeze fresh lemon juice over the chicken and asparagus. (For added flavor and visual appeal you can layer thin lemon slices between the asparagus spears) Sprinkle parmesan over the asparagus.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until asparagus is tender and chicken is cooked through. Serve immediately.