Sweet Chinese honey and garlic chicken – an easy family favorite recipe that’s ready in 30 minutes and better than takeout!
You know how some movies are one-timers? You see it, you like it, you wouldn’t get the craving for it again but hey, it wasn’t time wasted. Well recipes are like that. Sometimes you try something, like it, but it’s nothing to rave about. And other times it’s all you can rave about for days, to the point where people start getting annoyed with you. That’s the case with this Chinese honey garlic chicken. Totally annoy-your-friends-rave-worthy.
I’m a big fan of Chinese take out, I really am, but can you say ex-pen-sive?? Seriously. And if you’re feeding more than two people it just gets more spendy. That’s one of the reasons I love to create my favorite take out dishes at home. It’s so much cheaper, tastes wayyyyyy better, and 99% of the time it’s a lot healthier. That’s a whole lot of pros and no cons. Worried it will take a lot of time or involve a whole bunch of prep and steps? Banish those worries my friends, this recipe is so easy you won’t believe it.
I’m pretty sure I’ve just hit all of the requirements for a family-favorite recipe: easy, affordable, better than takeout, healthy… oh and it’s super yummy! Obviously. Or I wouldn’t be raving about it. So now that you have no excuses – get cookin’!
What people are saying about this Chinese Honey Garlic Chicken
“Another winner! What I really like about your recipes….. fast..easy…few ingredients…and very good. I have made four of your meals so far and every one of them is a keeper. I love the 30 minute meals.” – Joni
“I made this for dinner last night and it was delicious!! We ended up adding a bit of soy sauce, and that made the flavors stand out even more, so I think next time I’ll add some salt and pepper to the chicken and corn starch. Very good recipe! Thanks for sharing! ” – Emily
Chinese Honey Garlic Chicken
- 2-3 boneless skinless chicken breasts - pounded to ½ inch thickness
- salt and pepper - to taste
- 3 tablespoons oil
- ½ cup corn starch
- 2 teaspoons garlic
- ⅓ cup honey
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar - (may sub white vinegar)
- ½ cup white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes - (optional)
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- optional: scallions, sesame seeds, cooked white or brown rice or [url:1]fried rice[/url]
- Heat oil in a large pan or skillet over medium heat. Chop the chicken into bite sized pieces. Toss the chicken pieces in the corn starch. Cook the coated chicken in the preheated pan 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally to ensure even cooking, until chicken is cooked through and crisp on the outside.
- In a small sauce pan whisk together all sauce ingredients except for corn starch slurry. Bring to a boil. In a small bowl combine cold water and corn starch for the slurry. Add to boiling sauce. Reduce to a simmer and allow to cook a couple more minutes until thick.
- Add sauce to chicken and stir to coat. Serve with rice and scallions or sesame seeds if desired.