Saucy slow-cooked BBQ chicken sandwiches with an incredible crunchy savory slaw – the perfect main dish for your next summer barbecue!
Happy 4th of July! I slept in this morning, did you? I thought about getting up at a decent hour and making some waffles for my husband but…. the comfy-ness of my beloved feather pillow got the best of me. But it’s a holiday right?? You should definitely sleep in on holidays. Plus I feel like I earned it since we stayed up to watch fireworks last night and were eaten alive by mosquitos. Nasty little pests.
Growing up in my family, we did our own firework shows out in the street in front of our house. My parents would splurge and get one of those huge boxed packages of a huge variety of fireworks, and my dad would usually take us to one of the stands in town to pick out one special firework. My brothers took great pride in arranging the whole “show”, planning out the order of the fireworks, pairing certain ones together, and deciding on the grand finale.
My husband’s family though usually goes up to a park called Eaglewood where there’s no where to park and you lay your blankets on the grass of an extremely crowded golf course and wait forreevveerr to see a quick 15 minute show. That part is pretty fun. It’s the getting out of the jam-packed over-stuffed residential streets after the show that is a nightmare. There is usually a huuuuuuuuge lineup of cars all the way down the mountain. You spend 8 times longer getting away from the park than you did actually watching fireworks. Somehow we managed to convince them this year to have a bbq with us and then ditch the Eaglewood action to sit on our front lawn and watch the fireworks from a nearby park. Gotta tell ya, I think I like our setup a little better than the fiasco on the hill.
My mother in law brought a suuuuper yummy potato salad and baked beans to the bbq last night. She’s a great cook. (I’m a little partial to my own mother’s cooking but shhh! – don’t tell my mother in law that) I made – bet you can’t guess – yep, slow cooker bbq pulled chicken sandwiches.
We actually have an electrical outlet on our back deck so when it’s hot in the summertime I just plug my slow cooker in out there on the porch and it keeps from adding any heat to the house. I love slow cooking almost as much as I love grilling. Both are no-fuss ways to enjoy a delicious dinner and more family time, both of which I’m a huge fan of. For these sandwiches, you’ve gotta make the slaw. Even if you’re not a cole slaw person, you will love this slaw on your sandwich – it was the hit of the show last night, everyone loved it! The crunch is exactly what this sandwich needs, and if I had it my way no bbq pulled chicken sandwich would ever be without it. This whole sandwich just works if you know what I mean. If you’re looking for an easy and SUPER yummy summertime dinner, this is exactly what you need.
Slow Cooker BBQ Pulled Chicken Sandwiches
- 4 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 8 burger buns or hoagie rolls
- 2 cups ketchup
- ⅓ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 tablespoon steak sauce
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard - OR ground mustard
- 1 tablespoon buffalo sauce
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4-5 cups shredded cole slaw - (without dressing), OR shredded cabbage
- ⅓ cup mayo
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard - OR spicy brown mustard
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar - (may sub white vinegar in a pinch)
- ½ teaspoon each salt, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder
- Place chicken breasts in a single layer in the bottom of a large slow cooker. Add 2 cups water. Cover and cook on high 2 hours or on low 4 hours.
- Prepare the bbq sauce. Whisk together all sauce ingredients in a medium sauce pan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, then reduce to a simmer then cover and cook 15 minutes. Cover and chill until ready to use.
- Prepare the slaw. Toss together all slaw ingredients in a large bowl, mixing well to coat evenly. Cover and chill until ready to serve.
- Minutes before serving, remove chicken breasts from slow cooker and place in a large bowl. Discard water from slow cooker and wipe out the slow cooker. Shred chicken with two forks OR place chicken in the bowl of a stand mixer fixed with a paddle attachment and churn on low speed for 2-3 minutes.
- Return shredded chicken to slow cooker and add the bbq sauce, mixing to coat all the chicken. Cook another 30 minutes. Serve on burger buns and top with slaw. If desired, drizzle your favorite bottled or homemade bbq sauce over the chicken on the sandwiches for an extra-saucy sandwich!