It doesn’t have to be Tuesday to enjoy these amazingly easy slow cooker chicken tacos. Made with just five ingredients and topped with avocado, cilantro, and salsa, you can set it and forget it!
Hi, my name is Tiffany, and I’m a taco-holic. Is there such a thing? If there isn’t I’m going to start it. I could eat tacos all day, every day. But, unfortunately most days I don’t have all day to eat tacos, much less make them. That’s when I get out my trusty sidekick the slow cooker, add some meat, a can of this, a tablespoon of that, put the lid on, set it and go about my day.
My days are also made infinitely easier to get through too when I know there is an easy, delicious dinner all cooked and waiting for me as my reward.
Why This Recipe Works
From chicken breasts to chili powder, this slow cooker chicken taco recipe works any which way you like it.
Chicken breasts — I always have chicken in my freezer (and I am known to stock up when it’s on sale too!) for days such as this one, where I need the slow cooker to come to my rescue. Easy to cook, easy to shred into tacos, so tasty, there’s nothing I don’t love about chicken.
Spices — This is a no-brainer too. The combination of garlic powder and chili powder delivers a one-two punch to the tastebuds that’s just unparalleled. Plus, two spices makes for easy prep and putting away.
Toppings — I’ll go into more on this later but it’s my favorite part of any taco, honestly. I always have avocado and cilantro, but you can add soooooo very much to tacos. Read on for more taco topping ideas.
Leftovers — Double this baby up for all the shredded chicken taco leftovers. Shredded chicken will keep in the fridge for about 3 days and in the freezer for up to 5 months.
Here’s How You Make It
Did I mention this was so easy?
Slow Cooker Directions
- Add the chicken, salsa verde, and spices to your slow cooker.
- Put the lid on the slow cooker and cook on high for 2 hours or low for 4-6 hours.
- Shred the chicken with two forks and stir in the sauce.
- Serve on tortillas with desired toppings.
Instant Pot Directions
- Combine all ingredients in the Instant Pot, cover and seal.
- Pressure cook on high for 12 minutes, let it quick (naturally) release, then shred and eat as directed.
Ideas for Taco Toppings
Toppings? Toppings are my favorite! (Said in the voice of Will Ferrell as Buddy the Elf.)
Some of my favorite ways to crown a taco include, but are not limited to:
- Diced tomatoes
- A squeeze of lime juice
- Black olives
- Diced red onions
- Fruit salsa
- Hot sauce
- Shredded lettuce
- Shredded cabbage/slaw
- Chipotles in adobo
- Sour cream/plain Greek yogurt
- Diced jalapenos
- Pickled red onions
- Black beans
Ideas for Sides
Tacos are fine but you know what makes tacos better (besides toppings?) all the sides!
- Try serving up a big side of Mexican rice and to go along with these shredded chicken tacos.
- A black bean salad is an unexpected, but refreshing side dish that goes great with any kind of tacos.
- Speaking of salads, this chicken avocado corn salad is great, just serve it without the chicken for a vegetarian side.
- Not in the mood for a fancy salad? Try something simpler, like this easy greens salad.
- If you are looking for a low-carb option, you can make cauliflower rice, zucchini noodles, or spaghetti squash on the side.
- I think it’s easiest to shred the chicken with two forks right in the slow cooker, but you can also take the chicken out to shred one at a time on a plate (then put back into the sauce) or, I’ve heard it’s easy to shred chicken using a hand-held mixer but I’ve not done this myself so be careful if you decide to try it, it’ll definitely be hot and it could be messy too.
- Make the tacos creamy by adding in a brick of cream cheese to the shredded chicken. Add the lid back on for a couple minutes to melt the cheese, then stir in.
- A great way to store this chicken in the freezer is to put it in a ziploc baggie (once it’s cooled to room temperature), seal the bag, label it, and store flat.
- If you are meal prepping with this slow cooker shredded chicken recipe, split the chicken up into portion sizes before putting in the fridge — so much easier to take and warm up when you already have it portioned out.
Taco Recipes You’ll Love
Did you make this Slow Cooker Chicken tacos recipe? YAY! Please rate the recipe below!
Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 16 ounces salsa verde
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- tortillas - for serving
- avocados, cilantro, salsa - optional, for serving
- In your slow cooker combine chicken, salsa verde, chili powder, garlic powder, chili powder.
- Cover and cook on high for 2 hours or 4-6 hours on slow. (see notes for Instant Pot directions)
- Shred chicken with two forks and give it all a good stir.
- Serve in tortillas with desired toppings.