Juicy, tender Slow Cooker Beef Roast with seasoned vegetables. Top it off with a simple and easy-to-make gravy!
This is it, my mother’s famous sunday dinner in a nutshell. Technically, no, this isn’t her recipe, it’s mine. But this is basically what we had to eat almost every single sunday growing up. Beef roast with potatoes and carrots. And salad. And rolls. And jello. My mother constantly feels the need to cook as though she is feeding an army, bless her heart.
Then again, 9 children…. that’s almost an army. Or a baseball team at least.
I love this cooking method for a roast. It’s incredibly simple and yields perfectly tender and juicy roast (never dried out – hallelujah!) every single time. And my favorite part is that you can throw all of the veggies in with the roast so it’s a wham-bam all-in-one dinner in your crockpot.
P.S. does anyone else get the urge to say roast beast? Raise your hand if you’re a Grinch fan. Gosh I love you people.
Oh and the gravy! Mmmm, so delish. And it takes all of, oh maybe 5 minutes to whip up using the yummy flavored juices from your beef. This recipe is also really easy to customize or adjust according to your group size. The ingredients listed for the gravy make enough for a roast to feed up to 8, but if you’re feeding a larger group, just double the whole recipe! Even though I no longer live with mom, this is still one of my favorite sunday meals – it’s doesn’t get any more comfort food-y than this!
What people are saying about this Slow Cooker Beef Roast
“Hi! I just wanted to let you know that my family loves this recipe, it’s a staple in our house for sure!” – Carolyn
“I made this for a very large family dinner. I was a bit nervous since I hadn’t made it before, but it was an absolute hit! Everyone raved and several people asked for the recipe. I will be adding this to my favorite recipes folder.” – Melissa
“I made this today and while i was concerned the veggies would be dry/blah, they turned out perfectly and it was done in 4 hours. I left it on warm for one hour more and all was great.” – Nancy
“Made this for dinner tonight and it was amazing! I hate pot roast because they are usually flavorless and dry. This was delish. Going to make it again and again.” – Ashley
Slow Cooker Beef Roast
- 3 pounds chuck or rump roast (see note)
- 2 tablespoons steak seasoning
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 pound baby carrots
- 2 pounds potatoes (I used red), chopped into 2 inch pieces
- 1 large white or yellow onion, cut into chunks
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt (or more to taste)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 3 tablespoons corn starch
- Whisk together steak seasoning and Italian seasoning. Rub seasoning mix all over the roast. Grease a slow cooker. Add roast, beef broth, potatoes, carrots, onions, and celery. Cover and cook on low for 9 hours or on high for 6 hours.
- Minutes before serving, prepare the gravy. Drain liquid from sow cooker into a medium sauce pan. Add salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder. Bring to a boil.
- Whisk together corn starch and cold water. Add to sauce pan and reduce heat to medium-low. Allow to thicken for 3-5 minutes.
- Place roast on a large plate or serving platter. Use a fork to gently pull apart the roast. Pour gravy over roast (and veggies if desired) and serve. Enjoy!