Juicy, Slow Cooker Barbacoa Beef in savory spices – perfect for tacos, burritos, enchiladas, and all of your favorite Mexican dishes!
When I find something I love, I’m 100 percent okay with having it on repeat for an extended period of time. While my father in law says “but we had Mexican yesterday”, I’m over here like “we’re having Mexican for breakfast! and lunch! and dinner! Yayyyyyy!”. I never tire of it. We have tacos of some kind for dinner pretty much weekly. Maybe even bi-weekly.
This super amazing juicy Mexican beef works perrrrrfectly for all of my favorite homemade Mexican dishes. Burritos, tacos, enchiladas, or straight up over rice. It is seriously fall-apart tender and incredibly flavorful. Also? When this barbacoa beef cooks to perfection in your crockpot all day, your house is guaranteed to smell like heaven come dinner time. BONUS!
What people are saying about this Slow Cooker Barbacoa Beef
“I made this yesterday! All I can say is YUMMY! It was a huge hit! When I took the roast out to shred and the liquid out to strain, i rough chopped some onion and sautéed them. I then added everything back in the crockpot with the onion. Looked just like the picture! This is a keeper!” – Kathy
“This recipe is amazing. I’ve now made it about 8 times and it may be the best thing i make. I add it a fair amount of the adobo sauce that the peppers come in, which gives it a nice heat that fades a little as time goes by. It’s even better the second day once the flavors have time to meld. As far as the onion goes, I cut one or 2 in half (sweet), quarter them, and throw them in at the beginning. If it turns out to spicy, a little sour cream cools it off a bit. MAKE THIS RECIPE” – Sfonas
Slow Cooker Barbacoa Beef
- 2 ½ - 3 pounds beef chuck roast
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 3 chipotle peppers - roughly chopped
- 1 small white or yellow onion chopped
- juice of 1 lime - (2-3 tablespoons)
- ½ cup water - or beef broth
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves - (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt - (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper - (or to taste)
- optional: red onion, cilantro and lime wedges for topiing
- Place chuck roast in a greased slow cooker. Whisk together vinegar, garlic, chipotle peppers, lime juice, beef froth, cumin, oregano, cloves, and salt and pepper. Pour over roast.
- Cover and cook on high 4-5 hours or on low 6-8 hours. Shred with two forks and serve or freeze and thaw to use with all of your favorite dishes.