Carrot Cake Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting – These cupcakes are made moist with crushed pineapple and greek yogurt then baked to fluffy perfection!
In the past, oh maybe year or so, I’ve developed a particular love for cupcakes. I never dis-liked them, certainly, but I didn’t find myself craving them at any given time. Now though? Daily. I crave cupcakes daily! That’s a dangerously delicious craving to have you guys. It’s a good thing I don’t live in D.C. – I swear they have a cupcakery on every other corner. How do you D.C.ians have any self control??? I’d be a wreck. A bakery-stalking, frosting-gorging, red-velvet-cupcake-eating m.e.s.s.
And speaking of D.C. and cupcakes etcetera, etcetera. That is kind of the inspiration behind these cupcakes. Well, maybe on the inspiration, because a classic super moist carrot cupcake piled high with cream cheese frosting doesn’t really require any inspiration – that’s why they call it a classic. But it’s the reason I made these cupcakes. In D.C. we stopped at my favorite cupcakery – Crumbs. And we shared a ginormous-sized carrot cupcake that was insanely delicious except for one little thing. Raisins. I hate raisins. Hate.
I enjoyed the cupcake, but I was left feeling a little jaded. So when we got home, naturally I whipped up a batch of my own classic Carrot Cake Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting. And sprinkles, duh. And minus the nasty little shriveled grapes. These particular cupcakes will just melt in your mouth they are that moist. The combination of a little oil with crushed pineapple and greek yogurt is just magic. And the frosting. Oh the frosting. I wish I had a whole room filled with this cream cheese frosting where I could live the rest of my life in frosting bliss. Yummmmmmmm.
- 10 ounces grated carrots
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup plain greek yogurt (I used 0% fat)
- ½ cup crushed pineapple (drained)
- ½ cup oil
- ⅓ cup buttermilk
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 8 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3-4 cups powdered sugar
- optional: sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 325 and line muffin tins with cupcake wrappers.
- In a large bowl combine carrots and next seven ingredients and mix with a hand mixer until smooth. In another bowl whisk together flour and next five ingredients. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until just combined (don't over mix).
- Pour batter into prepared pans, filling each wrapper about ¾ full. Bake 20-22 minutes until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool completely.
- When cupcakes are completely cooled, prepare the frosting. In a large bowl cream together butter and cream cheese until fluffy (2-3 minutes). Mix in vanilla. Add powdered sugar one cup at a time until frosting reaches desired consistency (for piping I suggest closer to 4 cups for a stiffer frosting that will hold up). Spread or pipe onto cupcakes. Top with sprinkles if desired. Store in airtight container at room temperature. Enjoy!