Moist Cream Cheese Swirled Carrot Cake Bars are easier than layer cake and don’t need any frosting!
I have this thing where I get really annoyed when the weather doesn’t obey the seasons. It’s ridiculous. And if you live anywhere without 4 distinct seasons you probably can’t even relate but here in Utah we are pretty much used to our 4 very distinct, well-defined seasons.
We have a chilly, wet Spring, followed by a very dry and hot Summer, then a cool and colorful Fall, finished by a frozen white winter.
But of course, our weather does not like to stick to the confines of quarterly seasons. So even though our January was the most mild I’ve ever experienced while living here, pretty much empty of any snow storms, our March has been very white and cold.
It shouldn’t, but it’s totally bugging me.
Which is part of the reason we jumped on the opportunity to take a weekend vacation down to St. George in Southern Utah with my inlaws. My sister in law has a lacrosse tournament down here this weekend and we don’t need much excuse to take a getaway to somewhere with warm weather and palm trees. ROAD TRIP.
And what’s a road trip without snacks yeah?? You better believe I brought a plate of these cream cheese swirled carrot cake bars on the road with us. So. Good. If you love carrot cake with cream cheese frosting, you’ll love these!
What people are saying about these Cream Cheese Swirled Carrot Cake Bars
“These turned out great gluten free! All I did was sub oat flour. The texture was soft and spongy; not crumbly at all. The bars were also incredibly moist. Thanks for the great recipe!” – Jasmine
“Absolutely the easiest and delicious recipe. Thank you so much for sharing. 5 star for sure!!!!!” – Tammy
“Easy and delicious – I’ve decided, though, that I’ll use a tablespoon of cinnamon next time! It just needs more spice!” – Janet
“I’ve made these today and they’re absolutely delicious! Thank you!” – Meike
Cream Cheese Swirled Carrot Cake Bars
- 1 cup finely shredded carrots (I used two large carrots and a box grater)
- 1 cup sugar (may reduce to 3/4 up if desired)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cup flour
Cream Cheese Swirl
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened (light or fat free are okay)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 350. Line and grease a 9x13 inch baking pan.
- In a large bowl combine carrots, sugar, applesauce, eggs, and vanilla and mix well. Add baking soda, cinnamon, salt, and flour and mix until combined. Spread batter in your prepared pan.
- In a medium bowl mix cream cheese sugar, vanilla, flour, and egg until smooth. Drizzle over the top of your cake batter. Use a knife to swirl the cream cheese mixture into the batter.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before cutting into bars and serving. Store in airtight container chilled or at room temperature.