Tailgating season is upon us and what better way to celebrate than with these delicious, filling, BBQ Beef Brisket tacos? These easy, delicious, and handheld tacos are just what your tailgate needs!
Looking for more delicious beef recipes? Head on over to my posts for Beef Tips, Best Quick Steak Marinade, Flank Steak with Chimichurri Sauce, and Greek Beef Burger with Tzatziki Sauce.
This post is sponsored by Beef. It’s What’s for Dinner. On behalf of the Beef Checkoff. All opinions are my own.
I have a confession to make. I actually was kind of thinking about how nice it will be when fall gets here. You know I’m a summer-lovin’ gal, but there’s something about the turn of the weather: the swapping of tee-shirts for sweaters, everything pumpkin, and, of course, the return of tailgating season!
Tailgating is all about the camaraderie and the sports of course, but it’s also about the food! The best tailgating food is not only tasty but portable too. These BBQ Beef Brisket Tacos are seared and cooked in a pressure cooker which means you can cook them up on site! Plus, what’s more portable (and delicious?) than a taco?
Why This Recipe Works
Beef – All tacos are delicious, of course! But there’s just something about beef tacos, especially at a tailgate! The sound and smell of a steak sizzling while fans fuel up to cheer on their favorite team just can’t be beat! Did you know that beef also reigns king as a top fan food? That’s right, 86 percent of social eaters agree that beef is good for social gatherings, and 89 percent of those consumers agree that beef is a pleasurable eating experience. Plus, this beef is soft and tender, and tastes delicious alone or when topped with all your favorite taco garnishes!
Perfect for tailgating – Tailgating is back! Fortunately, there are several ways to tailgate: at the stadium, at home throwing your own tailgating party, or a friend’s house when your team is at an away game. No matter where you plan to celebrate, be sure to make beef a part of your plans when it comes time to kickoff.
Great leftovers – This Beef Brisket makes excellent leftovers! (That is, if you have any!) Simply put it in an airtight container or Ziploc baggie if you are not at home for your tailgate. Be sure to add it to your cooler then transfer to your fridge when you get home. Eat BBQ Beef Brisket tacos all week long or put them in the freezer for later tailgates.
Tastes great with toppings – This Beef Brisket pairs well with the slaw I recommend you make alongside it, as well as salsa verde and cheese, hot sauces, sour cream, tomatoes, lettuce, and pretty much anything and everything you like on your Beef Brisket tacos.
Here’s How You Make It
Prepare the Brisket
- Stir together the seasoning rub for the Beef Brisket and rub all over.
- Then, turn your pressure cooker on to “sear” and drizzle oil in the bottom of the pot. Add the Brisket, browning for about 3-4 minutes on all sides. Take it out of the pot.
- Add 1 cup of BBQ sauce and the water to the pot, then add the Brisket back in. Put the lid on and turn the vent to “sealed.” Pressure cook the Brisket on high or set the pressure cooker to “manual” for 45 minutes. Make the slaw while this cooks.
- Once the 45 minutes is up, vent the pressure cooker. When the float valve drops, you can take the lid off and take the Brisket out, putting it on top of a cutting board. Use a sharp knife to slice the beef against the grain (the key to really juicy, tender strips of steak!) into 1-inch pieces.
Making the Slaw
- Add the cilantro to the slaw in a medium bowl. In another bowl, stir together the mayo, honey, lime juice, salt, and pepper. Toss to combine. Taste and add more spices as you see fit. Cover and keep refrigerated until you’re ready to eat.
Assembling the Tacos
- Add Brisket to the tortillas, add slaw, more BBQ sauce, and some salsa verde or another salsa you like. Enjoy!
- For more fun at your tailgate, have everyone in your group get creative and showcase their favorite ways to tailgate by bringing beef recipes they love and want to share. Have everyone vote, choose a winner, and be sure to give them an appropriate prize!
- Add some flavor and texture to your tortillas by brushing them with a little bit of olive oil and crisping them up a bit around the edges in a skillet, over a grill, or open flame on the stove top.
- If you don’t have cotija cheese you can use a bit of crumbled feta cheese instead!
- To use a slow cooker, first brown the Brisket in a skillet over medium-high heat, then transfer to the slow cooker, cover, and cook on HIGH for 2-3 hours or low for 4-6 hours. (Once fully cooked, internal temperature should read 200 degrees.)
More Taco Recipes
Did you make these BBQ Brisket Tacos? YAY! Please rate the recipe below!
BBQ Beef Brisket Tacos
- 2 ½ pound Beef Brisket
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 cups bbq sauce - divided
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup salsa verde
- tortillas - flour or white corn
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cracked black pepper - if using finely ground black pepper, use 1/4 teaspoon
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- 4 cups unprepared coleslaw
- handful cilantro
- ½ cup light mayo
- 1 teaspoon honey
- juice of 1 lime - about 1 tablespoon
- salt and pepper - to taste
Prepare the Brisket
- Stir together seasoning rub. Rub all over Brisket.
- Set pressure cooker to SEAR (see note for alternate cooking methods). Drizzle oil into instant pot. Brown Brisket on all sides (about 3-4 minutes on each side). Remove from pot.
- Add 1 cup bbq sauce and water to pressure cooker, return Brisket to the pot. Cover and turn the vent to the SEALED position. Set to PRESSURE COOK (high) or MANUAL for 45 minutes. (Prepare slaw while Brisket is cooking)
- Turn valve to VENT position. Once float valve drops, remove lid. Transfer Brisket to a cutting board, use a sharp knife to chop brisket into 1-inch chunks.
Prepare the slaw
- Toss together slaw and cilantro. Stir together mayo, honey, lime juice, and salt and pepper. Toss dressing and slaw. Taste, add salt and pepper if needed, cover and chill until ready to use.
Assemble the tacos
- Fill tortillas with Brisket, top with slaw, additional bbq sauce, and salsa verde. Serve and enjoy!