Santa’s favorite cookies! Soft and chewy double chocolate chip pudding cookies with M&M candies. The ultimate holiday cookie!
But the bottom line here is the fact that we don’t have any kids. So it’s just me and the hubbs here decking the halls and stuffing our faces with gingerbread, and regardless of whether we have kids or not, I still want to do all of the Christmas-y things. I kind of have this thing about Christmas. I call it “Christmas magic”. As a kid I used to talk about Christmas and would look forward to it all. year. long. I was enamored with the whole idea of Christmas. And I’m not talking about the presents (although, obviously I thought that getting presents was pretty fantastic) but more about the surprises and the traditions and the smells and the anticipation of everything the holiday brings.
AKA: Christmas Magic.
When I was a kid, my parents went all-out to make Christmas morning really special. There were hoof-prints in the snow outside our house and every year Santa left a note in place of the cookies we’d put out the night before. We changed our cookie of choice from year to year. Sometimes it was homemade snickerdoodles, sometimes peanut butter blossoms, and I think once or twice we left Oreos on a plate with chocolate milk.
So I was thinking… wouldn’t it be fun to have one particular cookie you make every single year on Christmas Eve and leave out for Santa with your kiddos? You’re probably rolling your eyes and yawning right now because, well you’re smarter than me and you’ve been doing this for ages. But this is new for me, this one specific cookie tradition thing. So I’m pretty stoked about my newest creation: Santa’s Cookies. I have officially declared this to be Santa’s favorite cookie (trust me, I know Santa and he digs these) and should we ever have children, I think we will make these every year.
Now the specifics of these cookies. They are incredibly soft, chewy, and perfectly sweet. They are extra-rich because they’ve basically got three kinds of chocolate. Semi sweet chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, and milk chocolate in the M&Ms. Mmmmmmm.
I have it on good authority that Santa’s gonna leave extra-fabulous goodies at any house with these beauties on a plate by the fireplace this Christmas. 😉
- 12 tablespoons butter, softened
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 2 cups flour
- 1 small box instant vanilla pudding mix - dry, not prepared (one 3.4 ounce box, it must be INSTANT - not cook and serve, etc)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 1 cup red and green M&M candies
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, brown sugar, and sugar for 1-2 minutes until fluffy. Add vanilla and egg and mix well.
- In another bowl whisk together flour, vanilla pudding mix, baking soda, and salt.
- Gradually mix dry ingredients into wet ingredients until incorporated. Stir in most of the chocolate chips. (Reserve a few chocolate chips and the M&Ms for later) Cover and chill for at least one hour.
- Preheat oven to 350. Very lightly grease a baking sheet. (I lightly mist it with cooking spray, then wipe it off with a paper towel) Roll about 3 tablespoons of cookie dough into a ball (Should be about the size of a golf ball) and place on prepared baking sheet. Gently press remaining chocolate chips and the M&Ms into the cookie dough balls (this makes sure you can see the chips and the M&Ms after they bake!).
- Bake for 9-12 minutes until cookies are set but still slightly underdone. Allow to cool for at least 10 minutes on the baking sheet. Transfer to a cooling rack to finish cooling completely. Store in airtight container at room temperature.