Soft and sweet Gingerbread Sugar Cookies with light and airy texture and the perfect flavor. A must make for treat the holidays!
Ad – This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Crisco®. The opinions and text are all mine.
My mom is the ultimate holiday decorator. Growing up, I remember our house turning into a winter wonderland at Christmas time and the only thing that has changed has been the transition from felt and cotton decorations, to sparkly glass and hammered metal.
She’s got style and she’s rubbing off on me. Mostly because she has made it her personal mission to decorate my house for me for the holidays. I think it could be because she is literally running out of 1) space to store decorations and 2) places to decorate! Every room is covered floor to ceiling. It is elaborate.
Two years ago when my twins were born my mother gave us a cookie plate and milk glass set, hand painted in red and white with a cute little letter to Santa. I just pulled it out a couple of days ago and the kids are obsessed with “The Santa Plate” and the “Santa Grink” – which, loosely translated, means Santa drink/cup.
This year on Christmas Eve we are whipping up a batch of Santa’s favorite cookie – Gingerbread Sugar Cookies with cream cheese glaze and the cutest red and green sprinkles! Crisco Shortening makes these cookies light and airy with melt-in-your-mouth flavor, and there is no cooling time for the cookie dough. From bowl to cutting board to oven in just a few minutes!
I can’t wait to watch those chubby little toddler fingers carefully place these delicious gingerbread sugar cookies on our Santa Plate!
Gingerbread Sugar Cookies
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tsp gingerbread spice
- 1 cup Crisco All-Vegetable Shortening - (one stick)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2-4 tablespoons milk
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 ounce cream cheese - softened
- 2 tablespoons butter flavored Crisco Vegetable Shortening
- 1 teaspoon maple extract
- 1 pinch salt
- 2-3 cups powdered sugar
- sprinkles - optional
For the Cookies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium bowl whisk flour, baking powder, and salt.
- With an electric mixer, in a large bowl cream together shortening and sugar until light and fluffy (about 3 minutes on high speed). Blend in egg, 2 milk, and vanilla. Gradually blend in flour mixture. (Dough will be somewhat crumbly)
- Bake in preheated oven for about 6-8 minutes (Cookies should start to brown just around the edges). Allow to cool completely on baking sheet.
For the Glaze
- Cream together cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy. Mix in maple extract and salt. Gradually mix in powdered sugar until incorporated and cream until completely smooth.
- Dip cookies in the glaze, then set on a cooling rack. Decorating with sprinkles if desired, then allow glaze to set up for about 15-25 minutes (not necessary but recommended!)
Ad – This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Crisco®. The opinions and text are all mine