Cheesy Vegetable Soup – This lightened up cheesy cheddar vegetable soup is rich and flavorful, perfect for a chilly day!!
I really can’t believe how warm the weather has been lately. It’s November but I don’t remember the last time it had only snowed once by now. I’ve seen Halloweens and Novembers with nothing by white. But the past couple of days I’ve been wearing short sleeves and wondering if I boxed up my warm-weather wardrobe prematurely this year.
I have a serious problem with the cold. I wear sweatshirts all twelve months of the year and coats for at least nine of them. Long pants, boots and socks show up all year round. So normally I wouldn’t have any complaints with a green winter. The only problem is that I’m dying to eat soup every single day and all of this sunshiny weather is hardly setting the mood.
One of the perks of my husband’s work is that he gets all federal holidays off. So for Veteran’s Day he was working on the house all day, and I made this soup for lunch. We both loved it! Cheesy and rich, but not too rich. You could probably put chicken in it but I swear it didn’t need it. The veggies and cheese are more than enough to keep you satisfied, I promise! I’m only wishing I’d made more so I could have it all week long! And I’m wishing for a little cold weather to set the mood for soup season too.
Cheesy Vegetable Soup
- 1/2 cup onion (white or yellow), diced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup cauliflower florets, chopped
- 1 cup broccoli florets, chopped
- 1 cup sweet corn, frozen or canned
- 2 cups milk (I used fat free half and half)
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup sour cream (I used fat free)
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese (I used reduced fat)
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Add onion, carrot, garlic, water, and chicken bullion, and cauliflower to large pot and stir to combine. Simmer until carrots are tender. Add broccoli and corn and simmer 10 minutes longer.
- In a small bowl whisk together milk and flour until well mixed. Add to pot and stir to combine. Add salt and pepper, to taste, and paprika. Cook over medium heat, stirring throughout, until mixture thickens and begins to boil. Reduce heat back to a simmer. Add cheese and sour cream and stir until cheese is melted. Serve with additional cheese if desired.