Hearty and flavorful slow cooker beef and potato stew is chock-full of juicy, tender beef and savory vegetables. Let your crockpot do the work and enjoy this tasty dinner with just 10 minutes of prep!
I shouldn’t be surprised. I really shouldn’t, because the weather around here is legendary for switching things up without a moments notice. When we left for our Southern California trip last week we were leaving behind hot hot temps.
We were coastal-bound and ready to enjoy some slightly cooler weather and So Cal, you did not disappoint. But when we headed home and got off the plane in Utah, we were pretty dumbfounded to feel a definite crispness in the air.
It’s a bit rainy, breezy, and I swear the light changed from that bright Summer yellow to a more golden hue. It’s like Fall snuck in while we were away. I thought I’d be more sad about it but apparently I’m ready for a change of seasons because I immediately began making our dinner menu for the week and half of it is S O U P.
Fall eats have my heart. Give me alllll the casseroles, slow cooker dishes, and bowls of soup, followed up by something of the sweet and pumpkin-y variety.
If you need me I’ll just be tucked away with a book in my slippers, favorite sweats, and long sleeves.
If it’s not cooling off in your neck of the woods, don’t worry, because this delicious slow cooker beef and potato stew will make you feel like it’s Fall regardless of what the weather is doing outside.
This is my favorite, hearty and flavorful stew. It’s very basic and straight-forward with no fancy ingredients, just the good stuff we all love in our stew. Carrots, potatoes, lots of onions and celery, and juicy, tender beef of course.
Slow Cooker Beef and Potato Stew
- 2 pounds stew meat - (cut into 1-inch pieces)
- 1 cup baby carrots
- 1 white or yellow onion - chopped
- 2 ribs celery - chopped
- 3 cups 1-inch potato pieces
- ½ cup sliced mushrooms
- ¼ cup flour
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 teaspoon salt - or to taste
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon paprika - (preferably smoked paprika if you have it)
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic - OR 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablepsoons worcestershire sauce
- fresh thyme or parsley for garnish - optional
- Place stew meat, carrots, onions, celery, potatoes, and mushrooms in your slow cooker. Sprinkle flour over the top and stir to combine everything.
- Add beef broth, salt and pepper, Italian seasoning, paprika, garlic, and worcestershire sauce to slow cooker. Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on low for 10-12 hours or on high 4-6 hours. Stir, taste and add salt and pepper if needed, and serve.