Saucy tender chicken slow cooked with fire roasted tomatoes, mushrooms, and sweet basil creates this divine Slow Cooker Tuscan Chicken.
Let’s talk about how much I love my slow cooker. Basically it’s my right arm in the kitchen. I use it all. year. round. probably 3-4 times a week which means I am using it more often than I am not using it. In fact, and this is the truth you guys, I have 4 slow cookers.
F O U R
Anyone need to borrow one? I have issues.
Another thing I love? Fire roasted tomatoes. Who knew that the way you cooked tomatoes could amp up their goodness so much! I adore fresh sweet tomatoes during the summer – baby heirlooms, you are my heaven – but I have a special place in my heart for the tomatoes that are fire roasted to blackened-edge perfection.
When you combine those fire roasted tomatoes with mushrooms, a LOT of garlic, fresh basil and Italian seasonings, all with juicy slow cooked chicken breasts, something truly fantastic happens. Tip: save some of that fresh basil for tossing right on top at the end!
Slow Cooker Tuscan Chicken
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 15-ounce cans fire roasted tomatoes - (undrained)
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- ½ white onion - thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- handful of basil leaves - thinly sliced
- In a medium bowl stir together tomatoes, mushrooms, garlic, onions, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, and half of the basil.
- Lay chicken in a single layer in the bottom of a greased slow cooker. Pour tomato mixture over the top.
- Cover and cook on low 4-6 hours or until chicken is tender and cooked through. Garnish with remaining basil and serve.