This 20 minute one pan garlic herb chicken and asparagus is full of rich, buttery herb flavors with both chicken and asparagus all cooked in one skillet for easy prep and cleanup.
One pan meals are LIFE.
Can I get an amen here??
A protein and a veggie side dish all made in a single skillet is my kind of dinner. This chicken and asparagus thing is buttery herbed goodness you need this week. All you need is about 20 minutes and you’re set my friends.
This recipe has been incredibly popular for a couple of reasons and I’ll spell them out for you:
- Easy cleanup. You just can’t go wrong with only having to clean up one single pan at the end of the meal, even after making essentially two dishes. Nobody likes to spend as much time on playing cleanup crew as they spent on preparation. This dish has your back!
- Flavor flavor flavor. The combination of a few simple herbs and seasonings, along with minced garlic and butter, is like a party in your mouth even the pickiest of eaters can’t refuse.
- 30 minutes. Yeah I said it, thirty minutes. This dish comes together so quickly you might find yourself wondering if you missed a step or two.
The process is really simple, but let me walk you through it real quick. In your favorite skillet, melt some butter, stir in garlic and herbs, then add the chicken. Brown on the first side, then flip and a keep cooking a little longer.
Next you wanna scooooooot all the chicken to the side and let it keep cooking while you cook your asparagus in the empty part of the pan with a tad more butter (don’t worry, this dish is still lightened up, there’s only 3 tablespoons butter in the whole thing). Cook that green asparagus til tender and your chicken is cooked through.
And that’s IT. Your whole dinner, ready to go, with a whole lot of flavor and hardly any work involved.
What people are saying about this easy One Pan Garlic Herb Chicken and Asparagus recipe
“I just made this tonight. It was awesome! Sprinkled some fresh rosemary and fresh lemon at the end. GREAT one pan recipe.” – Betty
“Great weeknight recipe. Made it exactly as written. The whole family liked it. It’s a “repeat” as we say!” – Stephanie
“This Dish is Amazing! I have made this dish several times. Each time it comes out WONDERFUL. The flavors are so delicious together.” – Indie
“OMG!! Just made this tonight and it was fantastic!!! Used boneless chicken breasts as that’s what I had on hand. Soo much flavor and the chicken was moist and asparagus cooked perfectly!” – Dea
More Easy Chicken Dinner Recipes you’ll love
One Pan Garlic Herb Chicken and Asparagus
This 20 minute one pan garlic herb chicken and asparagus is full of rich, buttery herb flavors with both chicken and asparagus all cooked in a single pan for easy prep and cleanup.
- 3-6 chicken thighs or boneless skinless chicken breasts (breasts pounded to even 1/2 inch thickness)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 pound asparagus, ends trimmed
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil (see note)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- salt and pepper, to taste
- fresh herbs for garnish (optional)
Season chicken with salt and pepper on both sides. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large pan/skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in garlic and herbs and cook another minute or so until the garlic is fragrant.
Reduce heat to medium, add chicken to pan, and cook for 5-7 minutes, then flip and cook another 5-7 minutes. (Chicken should be nearly, but not completely cooked through by this point)
Scoot the chicken over the sides and add remaining 1 tablespoon butter to the empty portion of the pan. Once the butter is melted, add asparagus. Season asparagus with salt and pepper, to taste. Cook, rotating throughout, for 4-6 minutes until tender and chicken is completely cooked through.
Serve immediately garnished with freshly cracked black pepper and fresh herbs if desired.
In place of the dried basil, oregano, and thyme, you can use about 1 1/2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning.