Mediterranean chicken with roasted red pepper sauce is an easy, one pan meal ready in 30 minutes and full of amazing flavors!
One pan meals are where it is AT you guys. By now you know that I love food, but I’m a firm believer in the “spoiler theory:” a theory I made up that explains why food that takes forever and a day to prepare or requires an overabundance of labor doesn’t taste as good.
That’s why I’m convinced that a meal that can be ready in about 30 minutes, give or take, tastes better — and if cleanup only requires 2 minutes because you only used a blender and one pan to make said dish? ALL the better. This one-pan mediterranean chicken is quick, easy, and tossed in the most incredibly creamy and delicious roasted red pepper sauce everrrrr. You will make this again and again I tell ya.
Why This Recipe Works
Roasted red pepper sauce — The roasted red pepper sauce just makes this chicken dish. If you’re looking for a shortcut to this fabulously creamy and rich sauce recipe go check out my roasted red pepper sauce recipe!
Simple ingredients — No need for fancy here. Everything I added to this Mediterranean chicken is found at your local grocery store, including the roasted red peppers (they’re jarred).
One pan — You already know I think one-pan meals are LIFE. But have you tried one yet? If you’re still skeptical that a whole meal made with minimal kitchen tools just can’t be that good, this is the meal to change your mind.
Versatile — Use chicken breasts or thighs, Italian seasonings or your own blend, add cheese or not, fresh herbs or nah, over rice or noodles…you get the idea!
Here’s How You Make It
- First, make the roasted red pepper sauce by adding the red peppers, 1 teaspoon of Italian seasoning, oil, garlic, pepper, and salt in a blender or food processor. Pulse until smooth.
- Now add oil or cooking spray to a large skillet. Add the rest of the Italian seasoning to the chicken breasts and add the chicken to the greased skillet. Brown the breasts on each side for about 6-8 minutes over medium heat until cooked through. Take them off the skillet and put them on a plate and cover to keep warm.
- Now pour the red pepper sauce into the same skillet and stir over medium heat for about 2-3 minutes, or until it’s heated through. Add to the sauce the heavy cream and stir until thick and creamy.
- Add the chicken back in and toss the sauce on it to coat. Serve with a garnish of feta and basil.
How Do You Thicken Red Pepper Sauce?
Okay so you’ve blended the sauce in a food processor or blender, you added it to the skillet, added the heavy cream, and it’s just not thick enough for your taste. What to do?
You can add a little cornstarch to the sauce. It’s my (not so) secret weapon for thickening almost any sauce. Add 1 tablespoon at a time right into the sauce, continuously whisk over high heat, and allow to thicken to desired texture.
What Do You Do With Red Pepper Spread?
In addition to adding the red pepper blend to heavy cream for a sauce, you can use it in a hummus recipe, stir it into Greek yogurt for a yummy dip for veggies, spread it on sandwiches or wraps, or use it as a dip for quesadillas or even pizza! Go crazy!
Is Red Pepper Healthy?
Red peppers are very healthy. In fact, all colors of bell peppers are healthy. They contain tons of vitamins like A and C, as well as minerals like potassium, iron, and folate. Peppers are also a great source of fiber, which can help you feel fuller, longer when you eat fiber-containing foods. Fiber is also great for your digestive system.
Can You Freeze Pepper Sauce?
If you want to make a big batch of red pepper sauce and freeze it, first allow it to come to room temperature. Then add the sauce to containers with tight seals, label, and put in the freezer for up to 12 months. It will separate as it thaws, but you can stir it back together when you reheat it.
- No need to roast your own peppers (though you can if you want!). You can buy jarred roasted red peppers in most grocery stores near the olives.
- Drain the oil from the jarred roasted red peppers before chopping the peppers and adding to the blender or food processor for sauce.
- This Mediterranean chicken dish goes great over white or brown rice. I’ll also serve it over wide egg noodles, or another pasta that you love. Add the pasta or rice to a bowl, top with a piece of chicken, and then top with sauce, feta, and basil. Delish!
More Tasty Recipes
- Greek Avocado Chicken Salad
- Chicken Salad with Grapes
- Best Broccoli Salad (without mayo!)
- Strawberry Pasta Spinach Salad with Orange Poppy Seed Dressing
Did you try this amazingly easy and tasty grilled chicken recipe? YAY! Please rate the recipe below!
One Pan Mediterranean Chicken with Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
- 4-6 boneless skinless chicken thighs - or breasts
- ⅔ cup chopped roasted red peppers - (see note)
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning - divided
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese - (optional)
- thinly sliced fresh basil (optional)
- Combine roasted red peppers, 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning, oil, garlic, salt, and pepper in a food processor or blender Pulse til smooth.
- Grease a large skillet. Season chicken with remaining 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning. Cook chicken in your greased skillet over medium heat for 6-8 minutes on each side until cooked through and lightly browned on the outside. Transfer to a plate and cover to keep warm.
- Transfer red pepper mixture to the pan and stir over medium heat 2-3 minutes until hot throughout. Add heavy cream and stir until mixture is thick and creamy.
- Add chicken and toss in the sauce to coat. Garnish with crumbled feta cheese and fresh basil and serve.