This tasty 30 minute skillet chicken in creamy sun dried tomato sauce recipe has bold and rich garlic, parmesan, and herb flavors that will leave you craving more!
Meal planning for this week? Here’s more recipes to add to your repertoire: Sheet Pan Teriyaki Chicken and Pineapple Fried Rice, French Onion Chicken, and Mango Salsa Chicken.
THIS SAUCE. The end.
Okay but really… that pretty much sums it up. This rich, creamy, cheesy, sun dried tomato and garlic herb sauce is a big fat slice of heaven on earth and your weeknight chicken game will never be the same after you try this goodness.
I discovered the beauty of sun dried tomatoes oh, maybe five or six years ago in a salad I had at a restaurant I now can’t remember the name of. But what I do remember was initially thinking that sun dried tomatoes sounding iffy to me, and finishing the dish wishing I had a whole bowl full of sun dried tomatoes by themselves to devour.
If you haven’t tried them before… they’re really incredible. You can purchase them at any grocery store, usually near the olives and whatnot. They come jarred, or bagged, and be sure to look for the ones that are packed in oil. You’re going to drain that oil before you use them, but the oil really keeps the flavor nice and bold.
Combining sun dried tomatoes with garlic, a few dried herbs, and parmesan cheese is a match made in heaven. I swear to you I could just drink this sauce straight up, BUT since that hardly qualifies as a well-rounded meal, I put chicken under the sauce as a general rule of thumb.
This super flavorful, 30 minute chicken dish will blow you away with how simple and delicious it is. It’s easy enough to throw together for any busy weeknight, yet impressive enough to wow company and become a go-to for special occasions. You will love this skillet chicken in creamy sun dried tomato sauce!
What people are saying about this Skillet Chicken in Creamy Sun Dried Tomato Sauce
“I made this tonight, loved by all, even the fussy one. It’s yum!! The added bonus is it’s so easy to make. Thank you.” – Martina
“This was delicious and easy!! Husband said this is a keeper and not to miss any leftovers!!” – Linda
“I cooked this last night and it was amazing. This is going to be my go-to chicken dinner for the family so easy and delicious! Thanks for sharing!” – Mary
“The entire family adored it, it’ll be in our rotation for years to come.” – Echols
“I made this last night and my family loved it! My husband literally licked his dish!” – Dianna
Skillet Chicken in Creamy Sun Dried Tomato Sauce
- 4-6 chicken thighs (I used boneless skinless), or 4 chicken breasts pounded to even thickness
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning OR 1/2 teaspoon each dried basil, dried oregano, dried thyme
- 1/2 cup juliened sun dried tomatoes, (they come in a jar packed with oil, be sure to drain excess oil)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup half and half, or heavy cream (use heavy cream for a thicker, creamier sauce!)
- 2/3 cup shaved or shredded parmesan cheese (or more to taste) + 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese for topping
- fresh basil or thyme, for topping
- salt and pepper, to taste (I use about 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper)
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Add chicken and cook for 5-7 minutes on each side until browned and cooked through. Transfer to a platter and cover to keep warm while you make the sauce.
- Add garlic, Italian seasoning, sun dried tomatoes, chicken broth, half and half or heavy cream, and 2/3 cup parmesan cheese to pan and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, and continue to stir periodically until thickened and creamy (5-7 minutes).
- Return chicken to pan and spoon the sauce over the chicken. Top with cracked black pepper, grated parmesan cheese, fresh thyme or basil, and serve.