Seasoned and stuffed chicken marsala with mozzarella, parmesan, and sun dried tomatoes, smothered in savory marsala mushroom sauce.
I feel like from this day forward we should just all agree that chicken marsala should always be stuffed. Everybody on board?? Excellent.
This dish comes across elegant and sophisticated, even though it is incredibly easy to make with simple ingredients. If you haven’t stuffed chicken before – don’t fret! – it’s a walk in the park. Simply cut a horizontal slit in one side of the chicken, being sure not to cut quite all the way through the other side, to make a pocket.
Then you fill that pocket with all the yummy goodness your little heart desires. Today we’re stuffed the chicken with mozzarella cheese, sun dried tomatoes, and parmesan cheese. This combo is pure heaven!
If you thought you liked chicken marsala before, you’re going to go nuts for this version. An extra 5-10 minutes is all it takes to transform a classic into the best weeknight meal you’ve had in ages.
Don’t be afraid to add extra cheese if that’s your thing – because it’s my thing and I totally get it! I even like to throw some finely grated parmesan cheese on top at the end for that last little punch of YUM.
- 4 medium boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 8 slices mozzarella cheese
- 1 12-ounce jar julienned sun dried tomatoes packed in oil, drained (if you can't find them julienned you can buy sun dried tomato halves and thinly slice them yourself)
- ⅔ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1½ cups marsala cooking wine (may sub chicken broth)
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon salt, or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper, or to taste
- grated parmesan cheese and parsley or thyme for topping (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Use a sharp knife to cut a slit horizontally along one side of the chicken breast, being sure not to cut all the way through the chicken - the goal is to make a "pocket".
- Fill each pocket with 2 slices of mozzarella cheese, ¼ of the sun dried tomatoes, and ¼ of the shredded parmesan cheese.
- Pinch together the open side of the chicken breasts and secure with toothpicks. Drizzle chicken with oil, then sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste, and Italian seasoning, rubbing in with your fingers.
- Transfer chicken to a large oven-safe skillet and brown chicken over medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes on each side. Place chicken on a plate while you prepare the marsala sauce.
- In the same pan (don't clean it) add marsala cooking wine, garlic, mushrooms, salt and pepper, and heavy cream. Stir and bring to a boil and cook for 3-4 minutes. Return chicken pan and spoon some of the sauce over the chicken.
- Transfer skillet to preheated oven and bake for 20-25 minutes until chicken is cooked all the way through and cheeses are melted. Spoon sauce over the chicken, top with grated parmesan cheese and parsley or thyme if desired, and serve.