One pan creamy parmesan chicken and mushrooms is a simple skillet meal that requires only 30 minutes and packs a huge punch of tasty flavors.
If you think you don’t like mushrooms, think again. And if you’re already a fan of mushrooms and are searching for a way to elevate your mushroom-lovin’ dinner game, this recipe is for you my friends.
This savory pan-seared chicken in a creamy-licious garlic and parmesan mushroom sauce is about to change your weeknight dinner game.
Now you can use either chicken thighs (boneless skinless, or bone-in and skin-on, your preference) or boneless skinless chicken breasts, it’s totally your call. As far as mushrooms go, I highly recommend fresh mushrooms rather than canned mushrooms.
As much as I support taking shortcuts where possible, canned mushrooms are not my cup of tea in this recipe. That being said, if you do try it with canned mushrooms and you just love it – more power to you!! Because like I said, shortcuts really are fair game around here.
And be sure to send me a message or leave a comment cause I wanna hear about it!
The sauce can be made with regular ol’ milk (I recommend regular or fat free half and half if you’re going this route) or heavy cream. Heavy cream will absolutely give you a creamier, richer, and more flavorful sauce so if you’re in the mood for real comfort food, go with the HC.
This dish is loaded with good flavor. It’s simple to make in about 30 minutes, requires just one pan, and will hit the spot even with picky eaters.
Serve it straight up or over a bed of rice or noodles for easily one of the tastiest meals you’ll ever make!
What people are saying about this Creamy Parmesan Chicken and Mushrooms
“OMG that was delicious! Just served it up to my family for dinner and it was a winner all round.” – Megan
“I made this for dinner tonight and it was delicious. We were all trying to sneak bits out of the pan when no one else was looking.” – Tracy
Creamy Parmesan Chicken and Mushrooms
- 4-6 large chicken thighs, OR 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts pounded to even thickness
- 3 tablespoons oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2/3 cup thinly sliced mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup half and half OR heavy cream (for richer, creamier flavor use heavy cream)
- 2/3 cup grated parmesan cheese, plus additional for topping
- fresh parsley or thyme, for topping
- In a large bowl combine chicken, oil, salt and pepper, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning and toss.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, brown the chicken on both sides for 2-4 minutes. Transfer chicken to a plate and cover to keep warm.
- Add butter to pan and stir until melted. Stir in garlic and mushrooms. Continue to cook 3-4 minutes over medium-high heat until butter begins to darken and mushrooms are tender.
- Sprinkle flour into the pan and stir to combine. Whisk in chicken broth and milk or heavy cream. Stir in parmesan cheese and salt and pepper to taste.
- Return chicken to pan and spoon a little of the sauce over the chicken. Cover and bake at 375 for 15-20 minutes until chicken is cooked through.
- Spoon more sauce over the chicken and sprinkle with cracked black pepper, grated parmesan cheese, and fresh parsley or thyme and serve immediately.