One-pan Creamy Parmesan Chicken and Mushrooms is a simply fantastic skillet meal that requires only 30 minutes of your time and packs a huge punch of tasty flavors like garlic, butter, and Italian seasonings over savory mushrooms and tender chicken.
If you think you don’t like mushrooms, think again, because this savory, pan-seared chicken in a creamy-licious garlic and parmesan mushroom sauce is about to change the way you feel about mushrooms forever! And if you’re already a fan of mushrooms and are searching for a way to elevate your mushroom-lovin’ dinner game, this recipe has your name all over it.
You can use either chicken thighs (boneless, skinless, or bone-in and skin-on) or boneless, skinless chicken breasts, it’s totally your call.
As far as mushrooms go, I highly recommend fresh mushrooms rather than canned mushrooms. Why? Well, as much as I support taking shortcuts wherever possible, canned mushrooms are not my cup of tea in this recipe. That being said, if you do try it with canned mushrooms and you just love it – more power to you!! Because like I said, shortcuts really are fair game around here, and be sure to send me a message or leave a comment cause I wanna hear about it!
The sauce can be made with regular ol’ milk (I recommend regular or fat-free half-and-half if you’re going this route) or heavy cream. Heavy cream will absolutely give you a creamier, richer, and more flavorful sauce so if you’re in the mood for real comfort food, go all-in with the HC.
- Chicken thighs, OR boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Olive Oil
- Salt and pepper
- Garlic powder
- Italian seasoning
- Thinly sliced mushrooms
- Minced garlic
- Chicken broth
- Half-and-half OR heavy cream
- Grated parmesan cheese
- Fresh parsley or thyme
How to Prepare This Recipe
Mushroom lover or not, it’s easy to make this one-pan meal!
- In a large bowl combine the chicken thighs or breasts, plus the oil, salt and pepper, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning and give it a toss.
- Then, take out a large, oven-proof skillet and set it on a burner over medium heat. Brown the chicken on both sides for 2-4 minutes. Once that’s done, transfer chicken to a plate and cover to keep warm.
- Add butter to the same pan and stir until melted, then stir in the garlic and mushrooms. Continue to cook for 3-4 minutes over medium-high heat until the butter begins to darken and the mushrooms start to tenderize.
- Sprinkle flour into the pan over the mushrooms and garlic and stir to combine. Then, whisk in chicken broth and milk or heavy cream. Finally, stir in parmesan cheese and salt and pepper to taste.
- Return the plated chicken to the pan and spoon a little of the sauce right on top of it. Cover the whole skillet and pop it in the oven to bake at 375 for 15-20 minutes until the chicken is cooked all the way through.
- Once the chicken is done, remove the skillet from the oven, spoon more sauce over the chicken, and sprinkle with cracked black pepper, grated parmesan cheese, and fresh parsley or thyme and serve immediately.
How to Serve This Dish
- Serve it straight-up or over a bed of rice or noodles for easily one of the tastiest meals you’ll ever make!
- Serve this dish right over mashed potatoes or with grilled potatoes on the side.
- Add a side of roasted asparagus or Brussels sprouts to round out the dish and give it some green.
- Add a basket of homemade or store bought rolls to the table — they’ll come in handy to sop up all of that yummy, creamy sauce!
- A small tossed salad always works well with this creamy mushroom dish.
- A great, low-carb option that would go great with this is some cauliflower rice.
Expert Tips and Tricks
- Add spinach or kale to this dish right at the end before you add the chicken back in and pop it in the oven.
- Make this creamy chicken dish a bit spicy by adding red pepper flakes.
- Use a variety of mushrooms to change up the flavor and texture a bit.
- Make the sauce and use a shredded rotisserie chicken if you’re pressed for time (just put it in when the sauce is done).
- Add diced carrots and/or celery to the mushroom/garlic mixture and saute in the butter for more veggies in your dish.
Try These Recipes Next
- Mushroom Cream Sauce for Chicken
- Instant Pot Parmesan Chicken with Rice and Mushrooms
- Garlic Chicken and Asparagus Penne
- Chicken and Mushroom Pie
Did you try this recipe for creamy mushrooms and chicken? EXCELLENT! Please rate the recipe below!
Creamy Chicken & Mushrooms Recipe
- 4-6 large chicken thighs - OR 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts pounded to even thickness
- 3 tablespoons oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ⅔ cup thinly sliced mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup half and half - or heavy cream
- ⅔ cup grated parmesan cheese - plus additional for topping
- fresh parsley or thyme, for topping
- In a large bowl combine chicken, oil, salt and pepper, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning and toss.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, brown the chicken on both sides for 2-4 minutes. Transfer chicken to a plate and cover to keep warm.
- Add butter to pan and stir until melted. Stir in garlic and mushrooms. Continue to cook 3-4 minutes over medium-high heat until butter begins to darken and mushrooms are tender.
- Sprinkle flour into the pan and stir to combine. Whisk in chicken broth and milk or heavy cream. Stir in parmesan cheese and salt and pepper to taste.
- Return chicken to pan and spoon a little of the sauce over the chicken. Cover and bake at 375 for 15-20 minutes until chicken is cooked through.
- Spoon more sauce over the chicken and sprinkle with cracked black pepper, grated parmesan cheese, and fresh parsley or thyme and serve immediately.
Made this tonight it was delicious, i used the heavy cream did not add more garlic to the sauce, sprinkled some garlic on the chicken had rice and peas to go along with it good meal.
Yum! Thanks for sharing, Diane!
To the same pan, add the mushrooms and onion to the pan and saute for 2-3 minutes or until tender. Add the garlic and a pinch of salt pepper; saute for 1 minute or until fragrant.
Can I use parmesian from a canister or does it have to b fresh?
Canister is great for this!
Yum! Really good! Everyone liked it even my most PICKy eater. I did add bacon and onions which made it even better.
Ohhhh, I bet that addition was fantastic! Thanks for sharing!
Love this recipe, so flavorful and easy to make.