Apple Cinnamon French Toast – Dessert or breakfast? It’s hard to tell with this rich and indulgent french toast! The perfect treat anytime of day!
Before this week, I was never really a French toast gal. It’s not that I hated it, it’s just that I would take waffles or pancakes over French toast any day of the week given the option. But this recipe changed my mind. Completely changed the way I even think of French toast.
Before I thought, “Meh…”.
Now I think “Mmmmmmmmmmm!!!”.
See the difference?
But there is something I have to tell you about this amazing, life-changing French toast breakfast I had. My husband was out of town when I created and taste-tested this recipe. And there are a couple of reasons why that is bad.
1. My husband adores French toast and in all of our marriage I’ve never made it for him. And I was so embarrassed to tell him, I took the cowardly way out. A text.
2. Since the husband was out of town and I was the onnnnnly one in this great empty house… I ate six slices of caramely cinnamon syrupy apple-topped French toast by myself.
Hello sugar overload at 9 o’clock in the morning.
This is honest-to-goodness, the BEST French toast I’ve ever had in my life! It will turn a die-hard waffle fan into a serious French toast believer. And if you happen to love apples and cinnamon, you’re really a goner.
This recipe is easy, insanely delicious, and takes 15 minutes max so there’s no excuse not to treat yourself this weekend! Cut up those uneaten apples in your crisper drawer, use up those few slices of bread that are about to go stale, and prepare yourself for a whole lot of cinnamon love here. This French toast is AMAZING!!
What people are saying about this Apple Cinnamon French Toast
“OMG. This was the most luxurious recipe I have ever made that makes me want to kiss your feet for sharing with this humble housewife. My family loved it and asked when second breakfast would be ready. I really liked the addition of flour to the egg mixture. I have never seen that in a recipe for French toast and it made a HUGE difference. Thank you for sharing your recipe!” – Mish
“Thanks for a wonderful and easy twist on French toast! My teenage boys gobbled it up
This morning! I had all of the ingredients on hand, so I had to try it. A scrumptious way to start a Sunday morning!” – Julie
“Oh my gosh I made this for my family for breakfast this morning and it was perfect! The apples cooked in brown sugar and butter were so good and I wish I made more haha. Yum!” – Nicole
“This is the best. Absolutely the best apple cinnamon french toast I have ever had. I have been making it this way since I found this page and would not have it any other way. My children get so excited when I tell them this is for breakfast..hmm hmm good” – Lee
Apple Cinnamon French Toast
- 2 medium apples, peeled and sliced
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, divided
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, divided
- 6-8 slices white bread
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/3 cup flour
- optional: powdered sugar
- Add apple slices, brown sugar, and butter in a medium sauce pan. Cook over medium high heat until brown sugar has dissolved and butter has melted. Add 1/4 teaspoon vanilla and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and reduce heat to simmer. Cook 6-8 minutes longer. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly and thicken while you prepare toast.
- In a large, wide bowl whisk together eggs, vanilla, milk, and cinnamon. Stir in flour and whisk until smooth. Completely submerge one slice of bread in the mixture, careful to coat both sides. Lift the bread out of the liquid and allow to drip off excess.
- Cook toast in a large pan over medium heat 1-2 minutes until lightly browned, then flip and cook other side 1-2 minutes. Repeat with remaining bread slices. Generously top toasts with apple-cinnamon mixture. Sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired.