Fluffy cinnamon pancakes with ooey gooey apple topping! The perfect Autumn breakfast.
Apple season has arrived! And even though that means that swimsuits are getting packed away and we’re gonna be busting out the ear warmers before ya know it, I’m pretty happy about the whole thing. I’m always sad to see summer go, but the fact that all things apple, cinnamon, and pumpkin are on the way certainly makes the warm-to-frigid temperature transition a little more bearable. I have those days where I want absolutely nothing more than to pack my bags and move to Southern Cali where the temps stay right around perfect for the entire year. But then the weather changes and I start to pull out my sweaters and boots and smell maple pecan pie candles, and suddenly I’m so glad I live somewhere with 4 distinct seasons.
The thing about Utah weather though, is that it is so unpredictable. It changes every 10 minutes and that makes it really difficult to plan what you’re going to wear. Yesterday I set out to run some errands in crops and a t-shirt. I ran into Forever 21 to make a return and when I came back out 15 minutes later it was positively pouring cats and dogs outside. An hour later it was sunny and warm again. See what I mean? Impossible.
But enough small talk about the weather. Let’s talk fall breakfasts. Particularly cinnamon pancakes loaded with ooey gooey caramel-y apple topping. Now that’s breakfast.
These pancakes are perfectly fluffy and soft. Don’t believe me? Just look up^^^ That’s a fluffy pancake if I ever saw one. Be sure not to over-mix the batter or you’ll lose that whole fluffiness factor and we don’t want that. These pancakes are good enough on their own but that’s nothing compared to how wonderful they are when you’ve piled on that apple topping. Look at all of that apple goodness! Mmmmm. Dig in!
What people are saying about these Apple Cinnamon Pancakes
“I just made these for Easter breakfast and they were amazing! I wish I had tripled the batch to have extras. My husband doesn’t even like pancakes and he loved these. My 5 year old said they were the best pancakes she’d ever had. Thanks for the great recipe! I can’t wait to try more of yours.” – Cherie
“I just finished making the pancakes , they are amazing! I loved how fluffy they were , the topping was my favorite. Thank you for sharing is delicious recipe!” – Farrah
“Had to go back to this recipe post and comment how good these were! Really great recipe and can’t wait until next weekend to make these again. Thanks for a five star recipe! Restaurant quality!” – Stephanie
“Amazing recipe!!!! Soft and fluffy I used two granny smith a for the topping thank you for the great recipe” – Rachael
Apple Cinnamon Pancakes
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (if you really love cinnamon you can add another 1/2 teaspoon)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 apples, peeled, cored, and diced
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- Preheat a skillet to medium-high heat (275 degrees).
- Whisk together the milk and vinegar and allow to rest for 5 minutes.
- While milk is curdling, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.
- Whisk egg and oil into milk. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until combined (don't over-mix, it should still have some lumps).
- Spray skillet with cooking spray. Use a 1/4 cup measuring cup to pour batter onto skillet. Cook about 2 minutes until bubbles form and the edges start to look "dry". Use a spatula to flip the pancake and cook another 1-2 minutes on the other side. Set pancakes aside and repeat with remaining batter.
- Add butter, apples, brown sugar, and cinnamon to a medium sauce pan. Stir over medium heat 3-5 minutes until apples are very tender. Stir in syrup. Serve apple topping over warm pancakes.