Soft and fluffy strawberry whole wheat pancakes – a healthy AND delicious breakfast!
Mmmmmmm….. pancakes. (big fat smiley face) I would really like to face plant into a big stack of these pancakes and not think about the 14 page research paper that’s hanging over my head. Really though, what professor in their right mind decided that forcing students to write big fat research papers was a good idea? I can think of about 11 million reasons why it is a bad idea. 1) It makes your students hate you. 2) It makes your students hate you. 3) It is boring. 4) It makes your students hate you. 5) You have to grade them and that’s boring too. 6) It makes your students hate you.
I’ve got more but they’re all pretty much different versions of reasons 1, 2, 4, and 6.
I keep telling myself, 3 semesters left, this time next year I’ll be d.o.n.e. And I can’t tell you how much relief that will bring to my life. Of course, I’m not really the type to sit still for very long so It’s not as though I’m going to have oodles of free time on my hands. My time always gets stuffed to the brim with something or other. But at least it won’t include the writing of 14 page research papers. That chapter of my life will be over. Or at least on pause.
With that in mind though, I’ve been trying lately to not put my life on fast forward, which I tend to do. You know how it goes, when you’re 10 you wanna be 13, when you’re 13 you wanna be 16, when you’re 16 you wanna be 18, when you’re 18 you wanna be 21, when you’re 21 you wanna be 30, and when you’re 30…. you wanna be 10 again. I’m trying not to get stuck in that cycle. So even though I’m not quite done with school, and I sooooo want to be, I am going to try to enjoy this crazy busy but totally exciting part of my life.
Mind you, I said I am trying. I still have moments (or weeks….) when I really want to skip ahead to graduation and put that behind me.
For now I’m trying to savor everything. Starting with pancakes. It’s hard when there’s a gazillion and a half things to get done in the day, but come on, you need to slow down for pancakes. And I made healthier pancakes for you today! Light and fluffy strawberry whole wheat pancakes with strawberry sauce. Ohhhhh yeah. Savor that yumminess.
What I love about pancakes is that they are easy peasy to make and quick, so there’s less time spent in the prepping department and more time left over for the enjoying. You don’t need a stand mixer or hand mixer for these pancakes either, just two bowls and a whisk. Oh and a lot of strawberries. Cause this is strawberry season, enjoy it! If you prefer thick and gooey syrup on your pancakes, skip the sauce and grab your favorite bottle (I heart Smuckers big time) but if you wanna try something really yummy and have 5 minutes to spare (you do, the pancakes take that long to cook) then you should whip up the strawberry sauce. Treat yourself this weekend, you deserve it!
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, stems removed and diced
- 1 cup strawberries, diced or quartered
- ⅓ cup honey
- 1 tablespoon real maple syrup
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In smaller bowl combine buttermilk, egg, melted butter, and vanilla and mix until smooth.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until combined. (**batter should still be a bit lumpy, just stir with a spoon or whisk, don't use a hand-mixer) Gently stir in diced strawberries.
- Preheat griddle or large pan to 275 and spray with cooking spray. Pour about ¼ -1/3 cup batter onto griddle. Cook 1-2 minutes until bubbles start to form in the batter, then flip and cook another 1-2 minutes. Repeat with remaining batter.
- For the strawberry sauce, combine all ingredients in a small sauce pan and stir over medium heat. Bring to a gentle boil, then reduce to a simmer until ready to serve. Serve sauce over warm pancakes and top with powdered sugar if desired.