Fluffy lemon poppyseed pancakes topped with an easy homemade strawberry sauce! Such a perfect summer breakfast treat!
I’m boycotting winter. I really am. I am making summery type breakfasts and wearing shorts for the next five months. Well, not the shorts thing, my boycotting doesn’t actually protect me from the freezing temperatures outside. But I will definitely be making summer-esque breakfasts, like these Strawberry Lemon Poppyseed Pancakes. Oh. My. Gosh. So good.
I love a good lemon poppyseed muffin. A big one with a little glaze on top and the little sugary crystals. You know the ones I’m talking about? Those really huge, incredibly moist ones that disappear quickly after the chocolate chunk ones in the bakery display case. I really love those muffins.
These pancakes are just like those muffins, except better! Because they’re pancakes. And just about anything is better if you can turn it into a pancake. Plus I added strawberries which takes the lemon-poppyseed thing to a whole other flavor level of greatness. It sort of reminds me of a big glass of strawberry lemonade, but warm and covered with ooey gooey strawberry syrup. Ohhhhh yeah.
These pancakes are really easy to make. Whip up a simple buttermilk pancake batter, squeeze in a couple of lemons, sprinkle some poppyseeds, and throw in a few diced strawberries. Pour that delectably fragrant batter on the griddle and you’ve got one heck of a pancake on it’s way to your belly. And as far as the syrup is concerned, you can definitely use bottled strawberry syrup if you aren’t feeling up to making it. (If you do that, I recommend Smuckers strawberry syrup, it’s my favorite.) BUT. I am telling you, the strawberry syrup is so so easy. Really, it is. And if you’ve got a kitchen partner handy, have them whip up the syrup while you make the pancakes. Or visa versa if you wish. Don’t be afraid to make the strawberry syrup, your tastebuds with thank you later and it’s a piece of cake and SO good.
- 1.5 cups strawberries, hulled and diced
- 1.5 cups sugar
- ½ cup water
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1¼ cups all purpose flour
- 1½ tablespoons poppyseeds
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup sugar
- juice of 2 medium lemons
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 cup strawberries, diced
- Prepare the syrup. Add strawberries, sugar, water, vanilla, and honey to a medium sauce pan and heat over medium heat stirring throughout until sugar is dissolved, remove from heat. Use an immersion blender to purree syrup (or you can transfer the mixture to a regular blended and then pulse for about one minute). When syrup is smooth with only small bits of strawberries left, allow to sit and thicken over very low heat until pancakes are ready.
- Preheat large nonstick pan or skillet over medium-low heat and spray with cooking spray. Prepare the pancakes. In a large bowl combine flour, poppy seeds, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and whisk until well mixed. In a medium bowl whisk together lemon juice and sugar. Add buttermilk, vanilla, and egg and whisk until smooth. Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients. Pour dry ingredients into the well you just made. Whisk all ingredients until just incorporated (batter will be lumpy). Gently stir in the diced strawberries
- Pour ¼-1/3 cup batter onto preheated pan or skillet. When edges begin to look "dry" and bubbles form and burst in the batter, use a large spatula to flip pancake. Cook 1-2 minutes longer. Repeat with remaining batter. Serve warm with strawberry syrup and additional fresh strawberries and powdered sugar if desired.
Pancake lover? Try these next!11