Super moist and flavorful lemon poppyseed zucchini bread with cream cheese glaze makes the perfect sweet treat for using up your summer zucchini.
Three years ago when we moved into this house, a friendly neighbor came by to introduce herself, welcome us to the neighborhood, and bring by a plate of brownies. Beautiful, homemade, frosted brownies. My husband was out of town so there I was faced with a dilemma – save the brownies and feed them to the hubs four days old and slightly stale orrrrrrr eat them all myself out of sheer politeness.
Yeah I ate them. Every last one.
It wasn’t until later I learned that they were zucchini brownies. Zucchini? In brownies?? Ewe, right? WRONG. They were one thousand perfect delicious and some of the best brownies I’d ever tasted, hands down. Suddenly a whole new world of zucchini in baked goods opened up to me.
Three years later I’ve made zucchini brownies, zucchini pancakes, zucchini bread (triple chocolate heaven), zucchini cake, zucchini cookies (plus the oatmeal version) and can hardly believe there was a time in my life when I wasn’t eating zucchini in sweet treat form.
This lemon poppyseed zucchini bread is absolute perfection. Perfectly sweetened, perfect texture (not too dry not too wet), perfect use of that lemon poppyseed flavor combination I heart so much, and perfectly topped with a rich (but not too rich) cream cheese glaze. There’s not one thing I don’t love about this loaf of summer heaven. If you’ve got zucchini overflowing from your garden, or if you just picked up a couple of green beauties at the store without a plan, PLEASE make this bread part of your life this week.
What people are saying about this Lemon Poppyseed Zucchini Bread
“I made this yesterday and it was just excellent! I’m so tired of the brown colored zucchini bread thats loaded with cinammon, nutmeg, etc. that everone makes. this reminded me of the lemon poundcake that starbucks serves, only with added poppy seed. so good!” – Snibb
Lemon Poppyseed Zucchini Bread
- 2 ¼ cups flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 ½ cups shredded zucchini
- 3 large eggs
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- ½ cup oil
- ¼ cup butter - melted
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 ½ teaspoons lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons poppyseeds
- 1 ounce cream cheese - softened
- 2 tablespoons butter - melted
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 6 tablespoons milk - as needed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan and set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl combine zucchini, eggs, sugar, oil, melted butter, and vanilla and mix well. Stir in lemon juice, lemon zest, and poppyseeds.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until just combined. Pour batter into prepared loaf pan. Bake for 45-60 minutes until an inserted toothpick comes out clean ( a few crumbs are okay but no wet batter). Allow too cool on a wire cooling rack.
- While bread is cooling, prepare the glaze by creaming together cream cheese, butter, vanilla, and lemon juice. Add powdered sugar and mix til combined. Add milk 2 tablespoons at a time, mixing after each addition, until glaze is a pourable consistency.
- Drizzle glaze over bread. Slice and serve or store in airtight container up to 5 days.