Lemon Blueberry Cupcakes – Moist lemon cupcakes loaded with fresh blueberries and topped with a simple yet decadent lemon buttercream!
It was fun but, the Cafe Rio run had to end. The sweet pork, the creamy tomatillo ranch, the hot dogs….. yeah. Hot dogs. Cafe Rio style. (check it out HERE) Annnnnnnnnd now on to sweeter things. Blueberry lemon things. Cupcakes in particular.
Blueberry cupcakes piled high with lemon buttercream. Mmmmmmmm rich lemony buttercream. Get in my mouth please. On top of a cupcake preferably, I’ve had enough straight from the spoon.
- 1 cup cake flour
- ½ cup flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla
- zest of 3 medium lemons
- ½ cup half and half
- 1 cup fresh blueberries, washed and patted dry
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup butter, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, at room temperature
- zest of one lemon
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3-4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- optional: yellow food coloring
- Preheat oven to 350 and line a muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl combine cake flour, flour, salt, baking powder, and sugar. In another bowl cream together butter, eggs, vanilla, lemon zest, and half and half. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients in three parts. Mix until all ingredients are just incorporated. In a small bowl combine blueberries and flour and toss to coat berries. Gently stir blueberries into cupcake batter. Fill each cupcake liner about ⅔ full. Bake 19-22 minutes until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- To prepare frosting, in the bowl of a stand mixer fixed with a paddle attachment cream batter on medium speed for about 5 minutes. Add lemon juice, lemon zest, vanilla, and mix another minute or two until smooth. Reduce to low speed and add powdered sugar one cup at a time. If frosting is too thick, add heavy cream 1 tablespoon at a time until spreadable consistency is reached. (Add food coloring now if desired) Spread or pipe frosting onto completely cooled cupcakes. Top with an extra blueberry and/or sprinkles if desired. Store in airtight container.
If you liked this then you’ll LOVE…