I’m a fan of one-bowl anything. I like to avoid the messy clean up part of an indulgent dessert. Confession time: I’m a little OCD and I can’t really enjoy my cake until the dishes are in the dishwasher. I feel like they’re staring me down from their haphazard tower reminding me that I have a lot of elbow grease to put in after my dessert is devoured. I usually break down and do the dishes first. Drives my husband crazy. But if I only have a bowl and a couple of beaters to throw in the dishwasher, that takes about 7 seconds and I’m on to my GIANT slice of cake that much sooner. Ahhhhhhh…. now I can truly enjoy my dessert.
This cake is not only super duper easy, but it’s also soooooo yummy! Fluffy and moist and covered in creamy lemon frosting! Mmmmmm. Definitely a crowd pleaser AND a chef-pleaser with quick prep and even quicker clean up. Gotta love a one bowl lemon cake!
One Bowl Lemon Cake
- 4 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 8 egg whites
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter - softened
- ⅓ cup fresh lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup butter - softened
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- zest of 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3-4 cups powdered sugar
- Line 2 8 or 9-inch cake pans with parchment paper and dust with flour. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add egg whites, milk, butter, lemon juice, oil, and vanilla to bowl and mix until smooth.
- Divide batter between prepared pans. Bake 30-40 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool completely on cooling racks.
- For the frosting, mix together butter and cream cheese until light and fluffy. Add lemon juice, lemon zest. Mix until smooth. Add powdered sugar and mix until smooth.
- Carefully turn cakes out of pans and remove parchment paper. Frost the top of one of the cakes. Stack the second cake on top of the frosted cake. Use remaining frosting to frost the entire outside of the stacked cakes. Store in airtight container up to 24 hours.