Super moist and perfectly flavorful banana bread made with Greek yogurt!
This is it people. This is my absolute favorite, perfect banana bread recipe. The perfect sweetness. The perfect moistness (moistness? a word? sure) The perfect texture. I’ve tried other recipes and none of them come close to this beauty. I’ve spent the last couple of weeks perfecting it, making it again and again and again – maybe even at one 0’clock in the morning.
Am I crazy? Maybe, maybe not.
- I’ve made this banana bread with and without chocolate chips – both amazing though I think it breaks my husband’s heart every time it doesn’t have them. The man likes his chocolate, what can I say. If you’re going for healthier banana bread, skip em. But if you are willing to indulge a little, throw those babies IN.
- The applesauce. You can swap out the applesauce for oil – vegetable or canola both work fine. The oil does intensify the flavor a bit, because hello – fats. That’s what they do. But I love this great with applesauce OR with the oil – both incredible, I don’t think my husband can even tell the difference. So if you want lots of moisture and great texture and aren’t afraid to skip on the traditional oil, do yourself a healthy favor and go with the applesauce.
- Do not – I repeat – DO NOT over mix the batter. Just mix until there are no more streaks of flour and no more than that. I you mix it too much, the end result will be a spongy dense bread – no bueno! When in doubt, mix by hand instead of using a mixer and if you do use an electric mixer (I always do) mix on low speed.
Annnnnnd that’s pretty much everything you need to know about this best-ever, absolutely perfect Greek yogurt banana bread! Happy Sunday to you from me.
- 3 bananas, mashed (about 1 cup)
- ½ cup plain fat free Greek yogurt
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce (see note)
- 1 cup sugar (see note)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1¾ cup flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- optional - 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees and grease a 9x5 inch bread pan.
- In a large bowl mix together mashed banana, Greek yogurt, applesauce, and sugar. Mix in vanilla and eggs.
- Add flour, salt, baking soda and mix until just combined - DO NOT OVER MIX - just until there are no remaining streaks of flour. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for 55-65 minutes, until top is browned and a toothpick inserted into the center of the bread comes out clean. Allow to cool completely on a wire rack before turning bread out of pan and slicing. Store in airtight container at room temperature up to 5 days.
You can use less sugar if you want for a healthier version of this bread. I you want to use less sugar I recommend making sure to use VERY ripe bananas - the riper the bananas, the sweeter the bread will be.