Tender, moist and absolutely delicious! This Gluten Free (Almond Flour) Banana Bread is easy to make with essential pantry ingredients and naturally sweetened with maple syrup for a healthier version of a classic banana bread!
Why This Recipe Works
Healthy & Easy: Homemade gluten free almond flour banana bread is a healthy option that is so so easy to make! This recipe uses whole, good-for-you ingredients and is perfect for when you want a healthy breakfast or snack that is gluten free! Almond flour is actually packed with protein and fiber, and is low in carbohydrates, so I wanted to make a gluten free version of banana bread to capitalize on all that nutrition!
Variation of a Classic: I mean, who doesn’t love banana bread, am I right? My easy moist banana bread recipe is what inspired making a gluten free version that can be made with almond flour instead of all-purpose flour. This is perfectly share-able and so great to get rid of any extra bananas you have on hand!
- Ripe Bananas: The more ripe the bananas are, the sweeter your gluten free banana bread will be!
- Eggs: Eggs add moisture and structure to this loaf.
- Olive Oil: You can use olive oil or melted coconut oil if you have that on hand!
- Maple Syrup: Maple syrup is a natural sweetener. You can use a little extra if you prefer a sweeter banana bread!
- Vanilla Extract: This adds extra flavor!
- Almond Flour: Almond flour is used to keep this loaf gluten free! It has a delicious flavor and goes well with the bananas here.
- Baking Powder & Baking Soda: A combination of baking powder and baking soda help this banana bread rise and get fluffy in the oven!
- Salt: Salt is needed to balance all of the flavors.
- Cinnamon: A bit of cinnamon adds flavor and makes this taste like classic banana bread!
Here’s How to Make It
Step by Step Instructions
- Preheat & Prep: Preheat the oven to 325 F and line a 9″ loaf pan with baking parchment.
- Mash Bananas & Add Wet Ingredients: In a large bowl, mash the bananas until they are as smooth as possible. Beat in the eggs, followed by the oil, maple syrup and vanilla.
- Prep Dry Ingredients: In another large bowl, whisk together the almond flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- Mix Wet & Dry Ingredients: Gradually stir the dry ingredients into the wet until they’re combined and the batter is smooth.
- Pour into Loaf Pan & Bake: Scrape into the prepared pan and bake for 50 minutes. A toothpick inserted into the middle of the cake should come away clean. Transfer the cake from the tin to a wire rack to cool.
- Line your loaf pan well! Make sure to line your 9″ loaf pan with parchment paper well so that even the sides are lined. This will ensure that your gluten free banana bread doesn’t stick.
- Let loaf cool before handling! Gluten free baked goods are generally more delicate than regular baked goods, so be careful when handling the loaf while it’s warm.
- Want it sweeter? You can totally add some extra maple syrup and even throw in a handful of dark chocolate chips for some extra sweetness!
Frequently Asked Questions
Almond meal is made from raw and unpeeled almonds whereas almond flour is made from peeled and blanched almonds. This makes almond meal a bit grittier and less fine, and almond flour is fluffy and fine. For this recipe, I recommend using almond flour!
To store leftover almond flour banana bread, keep covered at room temperature for up to 3 days.
More Bread Recipes to Try
- Brown Butter Banana Bread
- Lemon Blueberry Bread
- Carrot Cake Bread
- Banana Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Cinnamon Swirl Zucchini Bread
Gluten Free (Almond Flour) Banana Bread
- 3 large ripe bananas
- 3 large eggs
- 3 tbsp olive oil - or melted coconut oil
- 1 ½ tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups almond flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- Pre heat the oven to 325 and line a 9” loaf pan with baking parchment.
- In a large bowl, mash the bananas until they’re as smooth as possible. Beat in the eggs, followed by the oil, maple syrup and vanilla.
- In another large bowl, whisk together the almond flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- Gradually stir the dry ingredients into the wet until they’re combined and the batter is smooth.
- Scrape into the prepared pan and bake for 50 minutes. A toothpick inserted into the middle of the cake should come away clean. Transfer the cake from the tin to a wire rack to cool.
- This banana bread is not too sweet, but you can add some extra sweetness by increasing the amount of maple syrup.
- This cake will keep covered at room temperature for at least three days.
- A generous handful of dark chocolate chips can be added to the batter just before baking.